Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help! Black spots visible with Nikon EM Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Help! Black spots visible with Nikon EM « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Julie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I have just bought my second defective Nikon EM body on ebay. When I look through the viewfinder I see tiny black dots. They are visible with or without the lens on. When I take the lens off, I can see that it is from the black stuff that is around the screen. Obviously you can tell that I'm not too knowledgeable about cameras! I tried to use a moist q-tip to clean the screen and now it seems worse. Is there anything I can do? Will it affect the pictures or is it just annoying to look at? Thanks.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Julie. How mechanically inclined are you? If you are fairly handy, I can help you. The light seal replacement instructions I've written for the EM body explain how to remove and clean the focus screen. If you would like to see them, please let me know and I'll e:mail them in PDF format. It isn't hard to do, and I believe you can do it. It would be a good time to replace those light seals, and I can help you there, also.

Jon

Ed

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can clean the screen by using isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) and a Q tip, GENTLY, cleaning the view screen surface. It may take severl times is residue is bad.

rick

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

VERY VERY gently! almost any touch will scratch the plastic screen, and at the 5x magnification you view at through the finder the scratches look pretty big.

on the other hand, neither the black specks nor the scratches will hurt your photos.

Roland F. Harriston

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been using a couple of old Mamiya DTL1000 SLR's that have black spots (foam particles) visible on the view screen for years and years. You sort of get used to them after a while and learn to ignore them. As mentioned, they will not show up in your photos.

If the camera is fully operational and has no other issues, like the mirror hanging up on sticky foam, etc., I'd suggest that you enjoy it AS IS.

Perhaps I'm a bit more practical than most or perhaps a bit lazier than most.

Roland F. Harriston

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration