Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens / Rings a little lose Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Lens / Rings a little lose « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bernd Ebach

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a Minolta 7SII that seems to be in good working condition. But the lens barrel and the rings feel just a tad lose. My Ricoh 500 G feels solid and tight compared to that.

Any chance that this can be fixed by "getting into" and tighten some screws. Or is it more likely that this is due to an aging and wear out of material that can't be fixed easily?

P Laskey

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try tightening the screws carefully with a jeweller's screwdriver, and try tightening the dresser ring that surrounds the front lens element by putting pressure on it with a piece of rubber and turning. If that doesn't fix it it's probably just had a hard life and is suffering wear.
PL

Winfried

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some experience with that fix on the almost identical Revue400SE. You can tighten the lens barrel from inside the camera. The plastic 'hopper' inside the film opening is pressed on the shutter collar and attached with some glue. When the lens is set to 0.8m, pull back that plastic part, you will be able to retract it some mm. Now you see a big ring nut around the shutter collar. It has two notches. With a small and long screwdriver you can push the notches clockwise to tighten the ring. Take care not to scratch the rear lens element.

You don't have to glue the hopper back into place, it fits snugly on the shutter collar. Just take care to place its edges in parallel with the walls of the film screen, otherwise there will be a scraping noise when focussing.

However usually this does not solve the problem completely. It seems as if there is some play in the focussing helicoid. Maybe originally the play was 'reduced' by greasing the helicoid with stiff grease which dries out over time.

Nick

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this lens assembly the same as the Konica S3. Although they are rumored to be, I've never handled the minolta 7SII. The S3 suffers from this same malady. It's caused by a plastic ring in the assembly which compresses with use. To fix it, tighten the assembly from the back, or remove the lens assembly and replace the ring.
Slop in the helicoid is adjusted by bending a forked prong.

Bernd Ebach

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanx for that help.

Seems like someone allready tried to tighten from the back since there are scratches on that ring. I tried but I couldn't get it tighter that way. I'll not try to replace that plastic ring though and use my new little friend like it is. It isn't really broken after all. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration