Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RP loose lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus 35 RP loose lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fredrik Kempe

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all! Actually I have one more question for you. I just bought a very nice looking Olympus 35 SP rangefinder. The shutter wasn´t working - but I managed to fix that by removing the front rings and lens elements. Cleaned the shutter blade with ligher fluid. Works perfect on all speeds now.

The problem I have noted with the camera - and my question - the lens is a little bit wobbly to the camera body (it was so before I set out to fix the shutter by the way..)

Couldn't identify and screws to tighten when I had the front part of the lens of. I am very reluctant to go deeper down and remove the shutter.

Is this "wobbly lens" a known problem with the SP?
Is it fixable? The camera is absolutely usable anyway, it's just irritating.

Any thoughts you might have on this would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Fredrik (Stockholm, Sweden)

Fredrik Kempe

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops - heading shoud have read "SP loose lens"

Winfried

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had similar problems with my 35SP. The only way to tighten the lens is removing the whole front assembly (there are 4 corner screws hidden under the leatherette).

The 35SP is fairly easy to disassemble. The auto aperture mechanism comes off with the lens - just don't damage the meter needle which runs in a small slot of the front plate. On the rear of the lens barrel there is an outer ring nut which probably is somewhat loose. Tighten it as tight as you can (a spanner tool is recommended).

Fredrik Kempe

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your input Winfried. So - I need to carefully lift the leatherette (I was afraid someone would say that) - hopefully without tearing or damaging it.

If the front assebly is pulled straight out - should that be ok for the meter needle?

Does anyone have drawings, repair manual - or anything like that for the 35SP ?

Winfried

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had no problems getting the front plate off and back again without damaging the meter needle. It is clearly visible through the slot in the upper left area.

Fredrik Kempe

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Winfried. Did the operation tonight based on your inputs. The patient not only survived - but was cured.

You forgot to mention that the top and bottom of the camera need to come off first. Before the lens assembly. But I figured that out. When I had the top of I also managed to fix the meter as a bonus (only spot metering before - switch was locked). Oxide on switch - needed cleening.

A spanner and quite a bit of force was needed to tighten the lens nut - you were right about that.

/Fredrik

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration