Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ansco Viking and Braun Norca folders Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Ansco Viking and Braun Norca folders « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both of these cameras are good (shutter + bellows) but the lenses on both need cleaning. Viking has 105F6.3 Agnar and Vario shutter, Norca has 105F3.6 Steiner-Bayreuth and Pronto shutter. Both are front cell focussing. Neither has a pin as an infinity stop. Both have 3 tiny screws around the edge of the front cell surround and two larger screws on the front of the shutter housing. What is the best way to dismantle the lenses to clean them? Also how do you get at the insides of the viewfinders, both are mounted on top with no visible clue as to how to access the insides. The Norca does have 2 screws in the flash shoe.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many folders have an 'internal' stop pin for the focussing ring, i.e. it is hidden under the focussing ring. First you have to remove that ring by loosening the tiny set screws. Don't use too much torque, once they are damaged they will stay in place forever. Screw out the front lens element. If you are planning to readjust the focus (which is highly recommended) you don't have to care about thread positions. If not, mark the position of the focus ring relative to the lens mount, the position where the lens mount comes off the thread, and leave a note how many turns you needed.

Disassembly of Vario/Pronto shutters (both are very similar) is extensively described on the Isolette pages of www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk. I think the Ansco Viking is a 6x9 Agfa Billy in disguise, the Billys are very similar to the Isolettes. The older Pronto/Vario shutters are opened by removing the two screws on the nameplate.

Cyril Lowe

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm just squeezing in a question about a folder that I have. It is a Certo Dollina 1. Opening the back can be seen the take-up spool. At the top is a square cut-out and in it can be seen a spring which is wrapped around the shaft. This spring is fixed to the shaft so that it revolves when winding on, and at each revolution the end of the spring flicks outwards. I have only run one film through the camera and the negatives are increasingly spaced at each frame, till they are inches apart. To rewind the wind knob has to be pulled up against the spring,the end of which engages with a notch. Should this spring revolve,as it seems that it must wear a groove by doing so?

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are obviously talking about a 35mm folder - the 6x9/6x6 folders discussed in this thread have no frame spacing mechanism.

However, I have a Super Dollina and once took off the top cover to clean the rangefinder/viewfinder. It seems as if it has an extremly complicated frame spacing mechanism and I hope I never have to fix it.

Cyril Lowe

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Winfried, I'm always joining the wrong thread, but thank you anyway. Your comments are always welcome. When next I use the Dollina I'll watch the counter and not wait for the click from the spring. I can't think that the spring should revolve though. Talking of 6x6's,I have a Super Baldax that has a counter problem. I had to remove the top to replace the arm which engages an offset peg on a little disc that has teeth round half its circumference. this couples with the frame counter. the outcome is that if I just use that counter the frames overlap, so I have to check the numbers in the red window. No big deal, but having dodgy eyesight it's a bind.

Cyril Lowe

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Winfried, after playing around with the Dollina I found out I had been turning the wind-on knob the wrong way! There is no arrow on the knob to indicate the right way. To release the lock the little button on the front has to be pressed, and a click is heard. Then the film can be advanced. Why did I not find this out before? Cyril

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration