Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE1 P top cover removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE1 P top cover removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Darrel

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 02:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I remove the top cover of a AE1 P

many thanks
Darrel

tom ryan

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is that it is about the same as my Fujica. Remove the film rewind knob. Open the camera door and slide something between the "jaws of the film holder to keep it from turning. Then simply unscrew the top know counter clock wise(ccw). There is probably a chrome disc under the knob that must also unscrew. I held onto the disc with two pencil erasers and slowly convinced it to unscrew, also ccw. Some people put a piece of rubber on the end of a dowel to generate the friction and try to unscrew it. Next for the wind lever. I was able to unscrew mine with finger pressure alone, also ccw. I have also played around with pliers wrapped over a piece of soft leather. A swatch cut from your wifes favorite leather coat should work well. I think there are some cameras that this comes off clockwise. Best to find that out first. Once it is off, there are a couple of tiny screws that hold the top on as well. Once they are off, that is it. The shutter button and the speed knob come off with the top. Hope this helps. By the way, there is a nightmare waiting for you under that cover.

steve

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No totally wrong!!!!!!!!!!

tom Ryan

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

at least I took a shot at it. If wrong, how bout giving the guy the right solution!!!

henry

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom's description sounds pretty good to me. But I might add a couple things...

The front cover, just above the lens mount, must be removed to get access to inner screws. And I think both the ASA and wind levers are retained by snaprings. The friction screwdriver I don't think will be necessary on the Program model.

Also, as a general rule, set the ASA to a certain film speed and make note of it. Marking the location isn't a bad idea. And set the shutter speed to some detented speed.

Doug

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darrel
Try this:-Remove lens,and the 4 screws around front cover.
Remove rewind knob.
Remember where ASA dial is set.
Remove circlip..then small washer..and ASA top.
Remove wavy washer,and ASA dial base, then black plastic collar.

Now r/hand side
Remove the black finger cover next to shutter button ( this is stuck down, use needle or point of sharp blade )
Remove the two tiny screws next to the shutter button.
Remove the pin faced screw on the advance lever.
Remove the wavy washer..teflon washer..and advance lever.
Remove the heavy disc,( raised edge to the rear of the camera )
Remove circlip, A..L..S.. lever,black washer ( sometimes tight )
Now remove the six screws holding the top on.
There are three wires attached to the top, so be careful. Black to flash socket. White and Green to hot shoe.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration