Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Pen FT shutter removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus Pen FT shutter removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tony Duell

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can somebody 'talk me through' removing the shutter assembly from an Olympus Pen FT (half-frame 35mm SLR), please

So far I've removed the base plate :
Take off the battery cap and battery, remove the 2 obvious screws, take off the base plate and remove the rewind button before it disappears..

And removed the top plate :
Unscrew the button from the middle of the self-timer lever, undo the left-hand thread screw down that hole, remove the lever
Open the back, take off the rewind knob in the usual way
Take out the 3 screws (2 round the rewind spindle, 1 under the winding lever), ease off the top plate
Unsolder the (white) wire from the back of the flash socket

And the lens mount :
Undo 5 obvious screws, centre-top one is different

And peeled back the leatherette on the front.

There seem to be 5 screws on the front that hold the shutter in place. Loosening them lets things move, but I don't want to go any further without
(a) knowing if I should remove other stuff (viewing optics, exposure meter) first
(b) knowing if I need to maintain the mesh of any gears.

rick

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't had the shutter out of a Pen F, but i have had the mirror box out so that I could reach the shutter.

I assume you've established that this trip is absolutely necessary... if so, here are the basic steps from my notes, they tend to run generally along the same lines you're following:

1. Remove top cover
2. Remove eyepiece
3. Untape synch wire
4. Remove shutter release link from bottom
- -(don't think you mentioned this one)
5. Remove 5 screws under leather in front
6. Tilt top of front panel forward and lift away.

There is a mirror tensioning spring in the bottom, you can see a disc with a bunch of holes in it from below. this will have to be meshed exactly correctly at reassembly.

this doesn't actually remove the shutter itself, but the mirror and prism assembly. but the shutter is fully accessible once this is out of the way.

Tony Duell

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the hints. No, I'd not spotted the release link. The FT is going to be a bit different due to the built-in meter, but I am sure I can handle that.

Is there a procedure (other than 'mark it and get it back in the same position') for setting the mirror tensioning gears?

As regards 'being absolutely necessary'. To me it is. I am a somewhat eccentric person who's more interested in cameras than photography (in fact I am interested in just about all forms of machinery). A fried described me as a 'shutter collector'. What he meant was that I am interested in how these cameras work.

I try to obtain cameras with unusual mechanisms (not just shutters), and take them apart to see how they really work. Looking at pictures is not enough. I need to handle the various parts...

So far I've not ended up with a 'box of bits' from any of my projects. Actually I've never had problems getting things back together. But I do like to ask for advice first if possible.

rick

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I understand, I'm kind of one of those too. As I recall, the mirror setting gear is spring loaded and is going to unwind when you unmesh the gears. I used a drafting divider in 2 of the holes in the face disc to wind it back up for reassembly (about 1 1/2 turns clockwise, according to my notes)... but do mark the gears because you have to get it right on the correct tooth. I have some notes, sketches and photos from this adventure which i'll be happy to share if you'd like to email me for them. i was lucky enough to find one that was jammed (a loose screw fell into the gears) so i got the fun at a discount price....

: ) =

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration