Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Carrying Strap Lug Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Carrying Strap Lug « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in the process of repairing a Yashica 35GT and am attempting to remove a camera carrying strap lug from an old junker Yashica GS but the phillips head screw holding it in is really stubborn. I've used acetone on a Q-Tip to soften up any sort of lock-tight that seems to have been used to secure it, heat, and a jewlers screwdriver with a small vicegrip plier to try and break the screw loose, but nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions? I've found in the past that a flat jewlers screwdriver held with visegrips generally breaks loose any phillips head screw, but neither one will budge. Right now, I have a small soldering iron resting in the lug itself to try and expand it a little to loosen up the screw. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. would appreciate any input.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try tightening the screw first. The last time it moved, it was going in a clockwise direction. Often moving it forward just an iota will free it.

Jon

Harlee

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jon! I took a Q-tip with some Liquid Wrench and dabbed it on the phillips head screw - I'll let it sit through the night and then try to tightening it first as you suggested, before trying it in a counter-clockwise direction. I also took some old jewler's screwdrivers and ground the blades to get a snug fit in the phillips head. I'm also thinking of taking a small tap holder [the T-handle type] and fit a jewler's scredriver handle and blade in it, tighten it in the tap holder and try that. While using a small visegrip has worked in the past, it is a little awkward to hold when the screw is really tight.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some times they can be a bear, all right. One other thing you can do is to tap on the end of the screwdriver with the handle of a screwdriver (or something else with a little mass to it) while you try to unscrew it. The impact sometimes will cause the threads to shake loose. Good luck.

Jon

Harlee

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After modifying a small screwdriver which fits into a torque handle [Xcelite brand], and holding my tongue in just the proper angle, the little bugger finally came out. Quite easily I might add - once you can get a proper grip on a large enough screwdriver you've got it made.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration