Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet GIII ql17 light meter not wo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canonet GIII ql17 light meter not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dariush

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just bought a used Canonet GIII on ebay, its cosmeticaly in excellent shape and all the mechanical functions are working great. However after instalation of a fresh battery I can not get the light meter to work. even the battery test function is not working. I have already checked for corrosion on the battery contacts, and there were none. how do you diagnose this problem, and how do U fix it?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dariush,

Check inside the battery compartment - one of the contacts (the one towards the back of the camera) has a tendency to be pushed in. If that happens, you will have no contact from one of the battery terminals.

This terminal sort of pokes through a hole in the battery compartment housing and should stick out just far enough to make contact with the battery. If it is pushed in, you will have to remove the base plate, remove the battery compartment and see why the contact became loose.

There might be other reasons for the meter not working, I would check this first.

Good luck,
Jan

charlie

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There can be internal corrosion. You might have to take off the top and/or bottom covers to se.

Steve

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem when I bought mine. Even though the contacts looked clean, I had to use a nail file to really clean the contacts well. After that it fired right up. Making sure the contacts touch the battery like someone else said earlier is also key. If all else fails, the camera can always be used in full manual mode by taking the aperture setting off "A", except you'll have to use a hand-held light meter or the ol' sunny 16 way.

Melvin G. Krick

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a nice Canonet GIII QL17 with every thing functioning 100% on it. I replaced the light seals due to old ones turning to gook. The only problem is that I now see some internal spots and dust on the inside of lenses in the lens assembly. I checked it by setting it on B and f 1.7 and holding shutter down, checking against a white background. Also by using a pen light. How difficult would it be to remove the lenses and clean internally? A camera tech would probably have the correct spanners to do this.

Kim

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
It is not quite as difficult as you may think but you will have to make a couple of special tools. I use a pair of long thin pliers on which I have ground down the tips to fit the rings. You have to use such a tool carefully to avoid slipping and scratching the surface. Using this it is easy to remove the front element and possible to remove the rear one. The middle one is a lot more difficult. I found the most useful way is to use a rubber bung roughly the right siaze with plenty of grip.

On the other hand, unless there is a lot of dust or it is affectig to photos, why not leave it?

If you want a copy of the manual try here. www.pentax-manuals.com

Kim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration