Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica S2 Auto Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Konica S2 Auto « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Smiffy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello I have a question for you. I have a very nice Konica Auto S2. In
> mint condition. It Needs a service,and the range finder is not
> operational. I am not competent enough to do it myself. Any suggestions
> as to where I might be able to get it serviced and fixed .?
> Kind regards Graham Smith UK.

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The idea to service my collection of old RF cameras dawned on me and took a while to fully develop, when I, like others, still believed in romantic stories of competent and honest camera technicians who carefully analyse, repair and take care of cameras and customers. I am afraid you will have to learn that those people do no longer exist in our time. Many of those in the business are expensive and/or (in-)competent, in that order, and in all sorts of combinations. (I definitely know why I am saying so!)
As he Auto S 2 is not a very complicated camera, and as this forum offers a lot of useful information about how to tackle problems, the most reasonable thing to do is DO IT YOURSELF if you want to have it done carefully.
Let's give it a try, what do you mean by "the rangefinder is not operational" ? Try to be a bit more specific, what's wrong with it ?

Smiffy

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, firstly when I look through the view finder, I only see the outer framing square. There is nothing moving in the view finder,when I operate the focus lever apart from the outer framing square. Does this make any sense.? This is a superbe camera, that used to be my Grandfathers,then handed down to my father, and then to me when he passed away this December suddenly. So it holds a lot of history for me. Thanks.Smiffy

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably a tiny fully-silvered mirror inside the rangefinder has fallen off, it is only glued to its mount.

Just remove the top cover. Looking from the rear of the camera, there should be a tiny mirror on the right hand part of the viewfinder assembly (you have to take off an internal dust cover to check). You can glue it to its post with superglue. The mirror is supposed to be placed with the silvered surface off the post. You can check the silvered surface by touching the surface with a wooden toothpick. If you see no distance between the toothpick point and its image in the mirror this is the silvered side.

You probably have to readjust the rangefinder after this procedure, I think this is described in the article about the Konica Auto-S1.6 which is identical to the S2 except for the lens.

Smiffy

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that. How is the top cover removed?

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Note down all steps for reassembly in reverse order. All screws are anti-clockwise. There are four of them altogether:
(#1)the shiny round "plate" on the film advance lever, you need a friction tool (I use a simple household rubber glove) for unscrewing it.
(#2)Under the lever there is a round nut with two notches, when using pliers or a makeshift tool, be careful not to scratch the cover (!).
(#3)The rewind knob comes off by unscrewing, too, if its shaft inside the camera's film chamber is held in position by a wooden stick or any other suitable tool, be careful about the painted surface. Do not remove the small screw under the rewind lever !
(#4)On the left (rear view) there is the last screw, this one should not cause any problem.
When you take off the top cap make sure you do not lose that tiny mirror or the release button.
A last hint: before you start working take a good look at Kar Yan Mak's article about the Konica auto S 1.6 article (pictures speak louder than words, so to speak), good luck, W.

Smiffy

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar sir. Regards Graham

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration