Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

On taking apart a Konica C35, continu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » On taking apart a Konica C35, continued... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Clayton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to your advice I’m getting braver. Today I removed the top cover, bottom plate, and the lens assembly from the camera body. I did not disconnect any wiring. As I opened it up I was just amazed at the complexity, and the profusion, of levers, shafts, springs, gears, and assorted gizmos inside this simple looking little camera. After I removed the lens assembly I was face to face with the shutter. It was, as one other said, sort of spread all over the place. I removed a flat, thin, brass ring that circles around the shutter (I think maybe involved in aperture settings, but I’m not sure). Then I removed another plate that holds the shutter in place (two small screws held it on). I did not remove nor disturb the shutter (I was being very careful here), but I did take a tooth pick end and gently nudged the shutter leaves to see if they were stuck and found they are not. They looked nice and clean. I then put the shutter retainer plate and brass ring back in place. I’m a little disappointed as I now see the things I think I need to get at are lurking behind a substantial looking steel frame. I did find the locking device that is keeping the shutter button in the depressed position. It is spring loaded. A slight nudge and the shutter button popped back up to the ready position. Now it at least looked right, but of course it wasn’t. You can push it down and the shutter will still not work, and when you do it will remain down. At the bottom of the camera I saw, and almost understood, how the winding lever advances the film and at the same time cocks the shutter for the next snap. If I did understand what I was seeing, I believe the shutter is in the cocked position. What I am trying to answer is - why then doesn’t it snap? If the camera shutter, as I have been told, should work, even without a battery, what does that leave? Just looking at the camera it doesn’t appear all that dirty inside, and I didn’t see anything broken or out of place - so maybe it’s the self-timer not releasing? Any thoughts? At any rate I can see that disassembly beyond where I have been will require notes, and possibly drawings and pictures, of how it was so I can put it back together. For the present time I decided to put the camera back together. I think I will buy a battery before going on and see if the electronics still work. If they do I will go on, if not, I may ditch the project. I do hope this is interesting to someone besides me.

Clayton
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

charlie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although I have no C35 experience I have several cameras in a similar state of suspended restoration.
I feel your pain.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration