Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Lynx 14 - Meter Switch (again... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Lynx 14 - Meter Switch (again!) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Walters

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all

This is a follow up to my posting a week or so ago where I mentioned that the on/off switch on this camera seemed to be faulty because the meter is always on when a battery is installed.

I've done a bit more investigation and I'm not now convinced that the switch is the problem.

I noticed that the meter needle jumps when I touch or press the shutter release button. This is a bit surprising as I assumed that there would be no electrical connection between the shutter release and the meter, as the meter is uncoupled.

Anyway, I've found that if I hold down the shutter release the meter switches off, and if I continue to hold it down the meter on/off switch works as it should.

So..... does anyone have any idea why the shutter release would affect the metering system in this way and are there any suggestions as to a fix?

Cheers

Brian

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Brian walters
Western Sydney, Australia

Winfried

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe one of the wires leading to the meter switch got tangled with the shutter release shaft. The latter runs from top to bottom through the camera body. If there is a loose soldering point on the meter switch maybe a random touch of the wire makes contact again.

I have disassembled several Lynx14E and I can confirm that there is no linkage between the shutter release and the meter switch.

Brian Walters

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Winfried

Thanks for that confirmation - I didn't think there would be an electrical connection between the shutter release and the metering system.

It looks as if I'll need to do some investigative surgery over the weekend.

Cheers

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration