Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

KIEV 4 Shutter cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » KIEV 4 Shutter cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carlo G

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to clean from old oil the second curtain mechanism: at slow shutter speed and on B it is very slow. I do not know how to reach the mechanism. I have already done it on a Zorki4K that had the came problem, but here the mechanic seems different (and much better). Does anybody know where is the "weel" to clean I am looking for?

Does it exist any exploded view or instructions to operate?

On the net I had found a lot of informations regarding ZORKI, but seems more difficult to find the equivalent informations on Kiev4-Contax

Thanks,

Carlo G.
ITALY

Mark Pearce

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carlo;
Try
http://www3.telus.net/public/kaylalyn/index.html
for the answers to many things Kiev.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, Carlo, you need to be aware that at slow speeds, the Kiev and Contax curtains move very slowly - this is a normal part of this shutter design.

if the escapement does need lceaning, you can reach it by removing the rear film gate casting as shown here: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/contax1.gif

the star wheel and rocker pallet are on the right hand side of the shutter assembly, near the sprocket shaft.

rick : ) =

Marco

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carlo,

look for repair articles on the Contax II camera. There are a few of these on the web. This is not a easy camera to clean but it can be done.

You need to remove the entire shutter module and flush clean it VERY thourghly. Do not try to disassemble any of the mechanisms especially the curtains or you will be in for quite a time in putting it back togheter.

Saluti

Carlo G

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Following your suggestions and your links I have fixed and cleaned the shutter.

Thanks to all

Melissa

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I acquired a Russian Kiev 6C(medium format)and I need to recalibrate the shutter speeds on the camera. The camera is very clean and well kept, but the speeds from 1/60th down are way off. I have never taken apart a camera before and there are no repair shops in my area that will repair this outdated model.
If anyone can help me out with technical info. or knows any links(aside from the plethora of links for d.i.y. on the 35mm kiev's) I would be grateful.
Thank you,
Melissa

ed gregory

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All
Recently playing with my new Kiev 4 I turned the delayed action lever and, instead of pressing the proper release button I pressed the actual shutter release. now the film will not advance and thus, the shutter will not cock. Anyone with any ideas as to how I can release everything back to working order?
Thanks
Ed G.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration