Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak 35 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Kodak 35 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought an old Kodak 35 like this one here http://www.nwmangum.com/Kodak/K35-4.html. It is the model from 1938 with the Anastigmat 50mm lens. It is in good working order but needed some cleaning, so I unscrewed the lenses and wiped them down. While screwing them back on, however, it occured to me that there may be more to it than simply turning the lenses until they stop. How do I know when the lenses are in the correct position for proper focus?

Also, my camera has a pop up parallax viewfinder. What this camera does *not* see, to have is a way to adjust the viewer to measure distance. I have seen other versions of this camera that do have a little thumb wheel for doing this, and my camera does not seem to have been built with this functionality in mind. If this is the case how on earth am I supposed to use the viewfinder for anything other than basic framing?

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are some methods described for focussing a camera lens in the repair article section.

AFAIK the Kodak35 with rangefinder is similar but has a lot of mechanical links around the lens barrel. These links were just added outside the camera body, so probably the basic camera body of the rangefinder version is the same as for your camera. Just check the link to the rangefinder version on the website indicated by you. However, in your case, you have a simple version with pure viewfinder, and you have to guesstimate focussing distance.

charlie

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the next model up with the f3.5 lens, a 1/200 shutter and esentially the same viewfinder with no parallax correction. Most cameras of that era did not have parallax corection. You measure the vertical distance between the lens and the viewfinder, say 2", and aim the viewfinder 2" above your desired field of view for a horizontal picture or 2" to the side for a vertical picture. For setting infinity, open the back, attach a piece of ground glass to the film rails with the ground surface against the rails, open the lens to the largest f stop, set the shutter to T and point it at the moon and adjust the lens until the image is sharp on the ground glass.

Robert

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeffrey !!...

A little while ago, I bought over the internet.., one Kodak 35 just the same like yours !!... And, to tell the truth, it came in in very bad shape !!... From there on, I've restored it, from pure shame to glory !!...

You're right, there are not that much technicals information available for these models.., and from time to time, a lot of fixing come from trials and errors unfortunately.., and most of all, getting information help from friends at Classic Camera Repair Forum !!...

If you want more informations, drop me a line.., on my e-mail, "hotmail address" !!.., and I'll be very please to fill you in, with what I've learned from my own experience with my Kodak35 restoration project !!.., namely, fixing broken parts, a good CLA..., and lens adjustement among other things !!...

Regards...
R......

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration