Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Synchro-Compur opening Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Synchro-Compur opening « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leslie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After cleaning, the Synchro-Compur on a Perkeo II works fine, except when tensioning the shutter. When the lever is tensioned about halfway, if I remove my finger the lever stops and the shutter blades partially open. They close again when the lever is fully tensioned and the shutter cocks normally. The fault is intermittent; most of the time the blades stay closed. I should be grateful for any advice.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure this is a problem as normally you don't stop partway through tensioning a shutter. :)

However, this type of problem is usually a broken or displaced blade closing spring. The spring holds the blades shut during cocking and also helps force them to close quickly.

Look at this picture:
http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/compur/actlever.jpg

The spring in question is at the top of the shutter.

Leslie

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan, Many thanks for the illustration. The problem seems to be a little moving attachment on the underside of the cocking ring, the end of which looks rather like a bird's head, although I'm sure it has a more sensible name. If tension on the cocking lever is relaxed before the cocking action is complete, the cocking lever moves back a fraction and the "bird's head" catches on the lever that opens the blades and partially opens them. Am I right in thinking that it should move freely past the blade opening lever, allowing the cocking lever to return to rest if the cocking action is not completed? Sometimes it just rests on the lever without opening the blades, allowing the cocking lever to remain in a half cocked position.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "bird's head" thing has a spring on it also. Make sure that spring hasn't come loose or broken and the part is not sticking.

Also check the latch lever and see if it is sticky. Maybe the latch is not swinging into position fast enough to hold the cocking ring or the place on the cocking ring where the latch catches has been worn?

Beyond that, it may just be that something has gotten bent or worn. Those Compur shutters are "finicky." It is difficult to get that cocking ring reseated. If it is slightly out of position things don't work right.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration