Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-9 shutter release Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta X-9 shutter release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Hall

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta X-9 with the classic symptoms of bad release capacitors. Patching in a new capacitor didn't help. I began to suspect the release magnet, so I removed the bottom cover and the plate housing the battery compartment. I saw what I thought was the release magnet and some linkage toward the middle of the body (under the tripod socket). With my probe, I nudged the linkage and on the second nudge (in the other direction) the shutter released. Now, the shutter releases SOMETIMES. It may fire several times in a row or it may only fire once. Then, if I turn the power off and back on, it will release again, maybe once, maybe several times. After many releases and resets, it will not fire at all. Then, repeating the nudge to the linkage, it starts firing again. Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Oh, I should mention, early on, the red A led was flashing so I changed the battery, now the red A led is solid, and the meter seems to work correctly.

If it is the shutter release magnet, could you include some instruction on how to clean/remove it?

Garry

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Safest way would be to replace release magnet. Simple cleaning won't do. We service this model and will gladly help you out with it. Our repair estimate would be $48.00 and covers repair, parts, overhaul and return s/h. For more info please visit us at www.garryscamera.com.

Garry
www.garryscamera.com
[email protected]

Steve Hall

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Garry, Thanks for the suggestion. I may wind up sending the camera to you for repair; but first, I want to try to understand the problem and see if I can get the camera working. If I can get the release magnet out and examine it I may be able to see what is the problem. Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration