Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RC battery connection Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus 35 RC battery connection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ian Macleod

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an RC that appears to have a connection
problem at the battery box terminal. I have a good 625 battery that I've installed, but I don't get any action in the A position on the aperature ring. I've removed the bottom cover and can see a black wire going from what appears to be the light meter to the battery box. I've checked the resistance from the soldered end of the wire to the spring terminal inside the battery box...infinite resistance. Does that wire actually go to the negative terminal in the battery box? How do you remove the battery box to access that wire end? I've attempted to unscrew the small screw that holds the terminal, but it just seems to spin. I've included a link to a picture of it.
http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/Olympus/Olyrc35.JPG

Thanks for any help, it would be interesting to get this little camera going again.

Ian

Wayne

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ian,
If you've turned the screw, you've already made your first mistake. I'm speaking from experience as I did the same with the first one I worked on. If the wire leading to the battery box wasn't disconnected before, it almost certainly is now. The battery box is glued in place, so you'll need to carefully pry it out. I've always found the glue will let go if you take your time and work carefully. If the wire is disconnected, as it almost certainly will be, you will need to carefully resolder it in place. Be very careful not to overheat the connection or you will melt the plastic battery box. After connection is made, it hopefully will work fine. I've done 4 or 5 of these, and I seem to remember it is a white wire leading to the battery box. It should be obvious though once the battery box is out.
Wayne

Ian Macleod

Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wayne,

You were right, turning the screw would inevitably break the wire. I did manage to find some info and carefully pried out the battery box, (what a dumb design....would have been as simple to just install it with screws)and the wire was either broken before, or I broke it. No matter, it was badly corroded at that point anyway. I pulled the white wire out, stripped the end off of it, and for the time being, I just wrapped the bare wire end around the screw and nut. Still nothing, so I'm going to have to do more surgery. I removed the top of the camera and have found "a" white wire (whether this is the same wire or not remains to be seen) and there is no continuity between "it" and the battery box. But I can't tell until I remove the shutter and lens assembly whether it's the same wire.

I wonder if anyone has wiring diagrams of these camera's?

Ian

Ian Macleod

Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found the problem, but I'm beginning to doubt that I'll be able to fix it. There is a cam shaped contact arm that is supposed to make a connection between the battery and the photocell in the lens. It was all bent up (which is also why I couldn't turn the aperature ring all the way to the f/22 position)and as a result it doesn't make contact with the adjacent terminal.
I've taken the shutter plate off the lens to have a look and have tweaked the arm, but it's hard to know what shape the arm is supposed to be in order to provide a contact at the correct position of the aperature ring. See photo:

http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/Olympus/RCShutter.JPG

Of course, lining up the shutter and aperature actuating pins when trying to put the shutter plate back onto the lens is an interesting little exercise all of it's own. Fortunately, I've figure that part out as I've had it apart and together about 10 times.

If someone has any further words of wisdom, that would be great...if not...maybe I'll just have to relegate this camera to the "parts" bin.

Ian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration