Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet GIII Stuck Shutter: Need the ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canonet GIII Stuck Shutter: Need the Special Tool « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Preston Carter

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canonet GIII with a stuck shutter. I've read several recent and not-so-recent threads about this, as well as Henry's article, suggesting that one should remove the rear lens element and wash the shutter blades. I'd like to try it but I don't have the special spanner tool and I'm wondering if anyone reading this forum would be interested in lending theirs or selling me one. I live in California, USA, and I imagine it would be pretty easy to send the tool by US mail.

My neighbor down the street has a small machine shop so if necessary I can ask him for help making the tool but I thought I'd post this inquiry first and possibly save some effort.

This is my first post to this site and I assume my e-mail address is visible to anyone who cares to reply off-list. If not, let me know and I'll include my e-mail address in the body of a follow-on post.

Thanks.

greyhoundman

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought. I recently had the same on a GIII. Turns out the self timer was the problem.
Be sure it is totally off. Once I pushed the lever(rather hard)down, the shutter worked perfectly.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry made his tool from a paint scraper. you can do the same if you have a hacksaw and a Dremel.

:)=

Preston Carter

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Henry made his tool from a paint scraper.
> you can do the same if you have a hacksaw
> and a Dreme[l]

Hacksaw I've got. Paint scraper I can readily obtain. It's the grinding/filing part I'm stuck on. I don't have a Dremel or a bench grinder so that's why I posted my inquiry. I'll let a few more days go by and then if no offers are forthcoming I'll go ask my neighbor for help.

Thanks for your response.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration