Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 100 X problem with the mi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta SRT 100 X problem with the mirror after a take « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

charlotte

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,
The problem with my camera is after a shot, after pressing the shutter release, when I look threw the finder eyepiece, it's all black. This is because of the mirror inside. It stays on the "high" position, and just take the "normal position" after pushing the film-advance lever. And if the camera is working normally, I don't have to push the film-advance lever for a normal position of the mirror, it takes the "normal" place by itself. So, if someone knows why the camera is "working" like this, and what can I do to repare it, please thank you very much to answer!

Martin Norberg

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probable cause: Sticky foam in mirror box.
The small strip of rubber foam (mirror cushion) in older cameras almost always turns into glue with time. Can be changed for new foam at every repair shop. Easy to do oneself too in less than half an hour:

1. Fire the camera and dont wind it.
2. Stuff a piece of tissue between the mirror and the shutter (you don't want the old foam pieces inside the shutter)
3. Scrape the old foam off with a suitable tool.
4. Clean the last of the foam away with cotton sticks and alcohol or lighter fluid.
5. Cut a new strip from an old mouse pad, or take some velvet from a film can. Glue it in place with contact cement or rubber glue.
6. Remove the protective tissue. Look to make sure there are no loose foam in the camera. Try winding and firing the camera (on "B") before the glue dries - if the new strip is too thick you'll have to make another one that fits better.
Done!

Jon Goodman

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Charlotte.
In the SRT models, you need to get some light oil onto a gear in the bottom part of the camera. You'll need a small screwdriver to remove the screws holding that plate and as for the instructions, I see this question so often, I've prepared two image files explaining what to do. I'll e:mail them to you...please let me know if you don't get them. I would attach them to this message, but they are both about 70k.

Jon

Bob Gentile

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,

I wonder if you'd be good enough to send me a copy, too. I'm having the same problem with one of my SRTs.

Bob

Ed

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't overlook the possibility of weak second shutter curtain tension.

Bob Gentile

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed,

Second shutter curtain tension? Hmmm. I took a peek in the SRT maintenance manual, and that's a bit deeper than I'd care to go. I can fix computers, cars, and broken hearts, but I'm only willing to go so far with a working camera.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Bob.
Yes, I'll send them tonight or later today...I'm not where they are right now.
Jon

Bob Gentile

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,

Grazie! MOLTO grazie! Now... about the oil. I don't imagine a 90W gear oil would be appropriate. How about something like a #10 machine oil? Sewing machine oil?

Thanks.

Bob

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ciao, Bob. #10 weight...Molto bene, amico. Il olio della macchina per cucire e buono per esso.

Seriously, you can use sewing machine oil, or any nice light oil...but not olive oil, you know. That oil is for your gears. Sometimes I will start by dropping a single drop of naphtha onto the gear in question and firing the shutter a few times. If things begin working fine, I know I'm on the right track.
Jon

Bob Gentile

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,

LOL! Naptha? That's to clean it before lubricating it? (I mean... naptha doesn't lubricate, does it?)

Hmmm. No naptha on hand. Mineral spirits?

Bob

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sort of, Bob. The drop of naphtha will loosen the old oil and free the mechanism a bit. Mineral spirits should do the same thing. Yes, naphtha will lubricate a bit...just a teeny bit, though. Watchmakers use it to clean movements sometimes. Depending on the quality, when and where it was cracked (refined), it can have just a trace of oil left in it. Especially cheap naphtha.
Jon

Bob Gentile

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,

Gotcha. I'll get to it this weekend. All my miniature tools -- jeweler's screwdrivers, etc. -- are at my brother's and I'm gonna see him Friday night.

I'll let you know how it goes. And... thanks for everything.

Bob

Bob Gentile

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,

Yes. YES!!!

I took the bottom plate off and, using a pin oiler, placed a single drop of mineral spirits on the gear shaft called out in your photo. (Would it have been THAT difficult for Minolta to have designed the body so it could be stood on its head in a stable position? Harumph!) I cocked and fired the shutter a few times and the mirror began to return regularly. (It had been erratic.)

Next, I put some #10 machine oil into the oiler and placed a single drop, again, where the gear face meets the shaft. After I buttoned everything back up, I fired the shutter about a hundred times and the mirror returned EVERY TIME! Yay!

Jon, you are da MAN! THANK you!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration