Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ESII meter adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax ESII meter adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

robert

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
I acquired a Pentax ESII with a "broken meter/autofunction". After installed new batteries and tested I found that the meter still moves but only responses above 1/60 and completely off, the battery test doesn't work either. Mechnically seems fine and I took the top off saw nothing seems wrong. Removing the bottom plate I see there are six or seven vari-resistors (why so many is beyond me). To adjust so many resistors without a service manual is out of the questions and I suspect someone was fooling around hence the problem. Can anybody share some experience of this particular camera? Is my suspicion reasonaable? Any place I can get a service manual (which covers this problem) cheap? Thanks.

Gary Turner

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a wiring diagram on a Japanese camera repair website via Internet search (Google?).

If your ES-II ever comes alive electronically you will be very lucky. I heard no one will work on these (?). Presumably Pentax did not produce sufficient electronic parts to offset their long-term unreliability (?).

You might contact Essex Camera Repair in NJ for their advice.

I have one also (chrome body). It works only in the manual shutter speeds. Meter is quite dead.

Quite a bulky camera for Pentax standards.

Good Luck!

robert

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the info. I don't seems to be able to find this web site, do you have the url by any chance?
I figure my chance of repairing this camera is very slim but hey, I have nothing to lose. Searching google I did find a few places selling service manuals for $25 or so, they are way too expensive for non-professionals "with nothing to lose".
Thanks

Steve Roberts

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
I bought an ES2 with a dud metering system and had no lack of repairers willing to fix it here in the UK. In the event I sent it along to Mike Spencer who did a fine job for a very reasonable amount (and I've used his services several times since). I'm sure that if you look around you will find someone who can sort out your camera. I've used mine a lot since it was fixed and really like it. The added bulkiness is only a quarter inch thicker baseplate to accommodate the extra electrickery, but it's enough to prevent use of a Spotmatic-type case. An ES1 case will fit but doesn't have the cut-out for the D/A lever.
Hope you get it sorted !
Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration