Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-M shutter/winder problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta XG-M shutter/winder problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hrannar Hauksson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The camera does not fire-off when the shutter is pressed. I have new batteries and changed the shutter capacitor. Sometimes it decides to work (like 1 in a 100).

If I press the button halfway down I can read out the light measurements wich seems to work fine. I can wind it but it seems like it won't get ready for taking a picture and allows me to wind again without taking a picture (the frame counter works). Once in a while if I release the winder slowly the curtains get stuck and I need to push the curtains a bit to be able to wind again.

Thanks, Hrannar

Hrannar

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone tell me where the reset lever is? Can't figure that out. I've also read than I might need to synchronize some gears. There is a gray gear there with a marking on it but I cant find a marking on the adjoining gear (white).

henry

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hranner, I've started a reseting page, but have gotten so busy with the current engineering contract I'm on that I haven't had the chance to add other cameras. You are in luck, the XG-M (I think) is very much like the X-370 that is pictured there. Look in the article section of this website.

As for timing the gears...email me and I'll copy and paste instructions from the repair manual of the X-370. Should be close enough.

Henry

Hrannar

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Henry for the manual!

Now that I have put in a new 150um release capasitor I have a new situation.

If I wind the camera and let the hold go of the winding knob the curtains travel back with a speed and I'm not able to shoot but I can wind again. Doing this I could wind through a whole film without shooting a single frame.

However if I hold my finger on the winding knob and let it go easily back the curtains stop before going all the way back to the left. If I press the shutter button now the mirror will go up (with a clicking sound) but is stuck there. The curtains do not move when I press the button. I can push the curtains the rest of the way with my fingernails and I hear a click and the mirror comes down and the winder becomes available again.

I guess I have to make some adjustments to the winder/shutter system to make the camera work again. I've got the repair manual but it's mostly about electrical problems. To me the problem seems mechanical. If anyone has a clue please let me know :-)

Bye, Hrannar

Hrannar

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK I made a discovery! :-)

What should happen:
When I wind the curtains should be dragged from left to right and stay there until the shutter is hit. When the shutter is hit the curtains should travel back to the left first one and then the other depending on selected speed. And the camera should be able to wind again.

What acctually happens:
When I wind the curtains are dragged to the right. But when I release the winder the curtains travel back to the left (instead of staying on the right side). Since the curtains are back on the left side the camera can't shoot.

I think it might be something really simple but I'm not a camera engineer so I can't figure it out!

henry

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is very likely that the cocking gears mentioned earlier has slipped a tooth and not letting the curtain fully cock and latch.

That or the first curtain magnet isn't holding. Try cleaning its contact surface.

Here is a picture of the two screws to loosen to separate the gears.

But before you do that... On the gray gear (blue models) there is a mark. It should point to the center of the white gear. On some models there are two marks that line up.

cocking idler

Hrannar

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SUCCSESS!!!
Thanks Henry. You were spot on! I did adjust the gears a bit so the curtain would travel a few mm more, and voila! It works flawlessly again :-) Just processed the first film and no problems. Seems like a spring or something is not as strong as before. The mark you did mention on the gray gear needed to be a little bit off center for it to work.

Can't thank you enough Henry!

Thanks and bye, Hrannar

Stuckagain

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I had the same problem and the adjustment of the idler gear was the answer. All working fine now. Thanks all.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration