Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus RC 35 Rangefinder Auto Priori... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus RC 35 Rangefinder Auto Priority Only Works Part Time « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased an Olympus 35 RC on Ebay for around $50. I guess I got lucky because it's in great condition cosmetically. However there seems to be at least one problem with it. I put in a new battery, not an air cell one, but an alkaline 1.5v. I put the camera in Auto Exposure mode to test out the shutter priority feature. The shutter only appears to be firing intermittingly. I tried it outside in good light but it still behaves the same. I tried firing it at different shutter speeds but it doesn't make much difference. It'll release three to five times and then it'll lock up. I've noticed it never fires at Bulb. At first I thought it was the battery, so I tried a smaller 1.3 stuck in a rubber washer that acts as a spacer. (This works perfectly with my Olympus OM-1, which also used the original mercury 625) The result was the same. The shutter releases fine in manual and flashmatic modes.....it only acts this way in auto (A).

I was wondering if anyone's ever experienced anything like this before or perhaps you know what's going on?

Thanks

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure that the indicator needle visible in the viewfinder is outside the red range when you try to fire in auto mode?

If it is outside the red range sometimes and sometimes not at identical lighting conditions you should check the battery wire and/or the light meter switch. These issues have been discussed just recently.

Ian Macleod

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would agree with Winfried, I've had the same problem with my RC, and discovered both the battery wire was corroded and the light meter switch was bent and not making the proper connection. I've got my RC in pieces and have been working on trying to figure out how to properly rework the switch so that it makes contact when in the "auto" position. I assume that "that" is the only time the light meter is supposed to be on?

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. The light meter should not work in any other position than in A mode, you can easily tell this by looking at the cam which moves the light meter switch contact.

Ian

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I can see that the shape of the cam should only allow the switch to make contact in one position, but the whole switch assembly is so badly bent that I'm still working getting it back into the correct configuration so that the cam will follow the roller that activates at the correct time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration