Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon EL2 remove top Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon EL2 remove top « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

thinknow101

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nikon EL2 and there is what looks to be deteriorating foam just inside the viewfinder window. I removed the focusing screen inside the lens mount, but there is another piece of glass above that. Looks like I need to remove the top of the camera to get to the debris. Can anyone provide details on how to remove the top of the camera, along with any caveats? Thanks.

andy

P Laskey

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the dirt is definitely in the eyepiece, try removing the eyepiece lens cover, it just screws in to enable replacement with various correction lenses. You should be able to clean inside with some lens cleaner and a clean cotton bud.
P Laskey

thinknow101

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately, the debris is not just behind the diopter lens, it is beyond the rectangular window inside the prism.
andy

benny stevens

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The piece of glass you see when removing the focusing screen from below (via the lens mount) is the base of the pentaprism. I tried to remove the top plate from my EL2 and had to give it up in the final stage because I couldn't figure out how to remove the last obstacle : what is inside the shutter speed selector after removing the shutter speed dial and the barrel of the knob itself. It looked like a copper disc with a plastic part with two contacts and two short wires coming from inside the body.

thinknow101

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is sounding rather difficult to do. I just figured out how to remove the cover from the winding lever, but looks like I need a spanner to remove the metal piece beneath that...

What I thought was a strand/loop of dust looks more like a squiggly trail. The strand is reflected in the prism making it look like a loop.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration