Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya RB lens cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Mamiya RB lens cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pete

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone ever cleaned one of these?

Anyone have a source for a repair manual?

Most of the manuals I have seen deal with the shutters.

My shutters sound good, just need to clean the glass.

Thanks

paul ron

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What lens are you cleaning? THe front a rear capsules are sealed so there is really only 2 surfaces to clean. Some of them the cone will spin right out like opening a pickle jar. Some you have to remove the name ring then get the front capsule out. The rear capcule comes out the same way, unscrew it.

Check out this site, you'll see some pics of a few lenses I have opened, a freind was kind enough to post em for me.

http://logojoe.com/RB-RZ/lens-shutter/index.htm

Pete

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am working on the 180mm RB lens.

I was able to remove the front and rear lens groups.

But the rear group has internal haze.
Is there anyway to take this apart?

B Clay

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The attached photos are extremely helpful. Thanks to whomever for supplying them.

I have two/three Mamiya Sekkor lens that need fungus removal. (65, 90 and 127 mm).

I can get the back lens group out OK. But I can not figure out how to get into these lens from the top, to clean the interior lens faces at that end.

Specifically--with reference to the photos--how does one effect the ring removal evident in photos DSC01196 and DSC01197?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The name rings appear to unscrew, you use an adjustable lens ring spanner - put the points in the pair of holes you see in each ring. You can modify a pair of strong spring dividers to make a tool, if you do not feel like purchasing the proper item from Microtools.

bclay

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn

My name ring does not have holes.

I must assume at this point that the holes in the name ring that you see in the photo were perhaps drilled.

I am not sure what to do at this point...drill holes? Or try perhaps to use some sort of rubber spanner to apply pressure at opposite points on the name ring, and then try to unscrew it.

We'll see.

Cheers
BC

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Detailed examination of the photographs does indeed indicate that the holes were drilled.

You can see witness marks on one lens where the drill bit has penetrated through the name ring, also in one photo the ring is hole free.

The rubber spanner is a grippy rubber 'bung' hollowed out to clear the lens. Microtools sell them at a price - well they are in European cat, but I am told that US cat prices are about 60% cheaper. Anyway mine are made from grippy rubber rings glued onto the end of pieces of PVC waste pipe. I will not go into details of making these as I am sure you know what is wanted.

However remember that you only want enough force to grip the ring so that it turns.It is possible to cause the ring to jam if you push down too hard.

William Clay

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Mr. Middleton

Very helpful!

Do I assume that your experience in this contexts indicates use of the rubber bung grip over the drilling of the name plate ring?

I am off in search of the rubber piece that I need...your suggestion of using PC pipe is a very good one.

Cheers
B Clay

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

William,

Yes I will always try the bung method if the rings are/appear to be screwed in. I only drill if I am removing a damaged/marked ring for replacement and then only if it does not move with the bung.

Glenn.

paul ron

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes one of the lenses was drilled out by the customer who tried to do it himself but found he shutter too complicated for him to work on.

I generally use a rubber plug. Many times on RB lenses, screwing out the cone releases the preasure on the ring.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration