Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help!!! I stripped the screws on the ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Help!!! I stripped the screws on the bottom of my minolta x300s « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeremy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried 30 different sizes of screw drivers and don't know what to do now.

Help!!!

charlie

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look for a drill bit called "easy-out" or something like that. It has a left handed cutting surface and will turn in until there is enough friction to back out the screw. (Those screws aren't left handed to begin with are they?)

henry

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ONLY sure method I've found is to chuck a crosspoint removable driver tip into a drill press--secure the camera body--well, securely! Then while applying down pressure with the quill to HAND rotate the chuck.

This is the only method that has worked everytime for me. Of course, your screw heads might be too stripped for even this extreme measure.

Henry

Robert

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi !!...

Well, looks everyone come with their good and inventive "homemade solution" !!...

Then, here's mine !!... ;-) !!...

These screws are somewhat made with a kind of steel/aluminium aloyd that make them "rust proof" !!... Problem is that they are also very soft and easy to strip !!..

My solution goes like this :

To gradually "drill of the screws head off" !!... In the doing, must be very "Gently and Careful", not to drill a hole instead, where the screw stand !!... The idea here, is just to gring the screw head off !!.., nothing else !!...

Once done, the cover should be easy to remove !.., and at the same time, the screw tips(what is left of the screw.., will remained in place !!...

With a "very good quality pair of pliers", it should be easy to unscrew the remaining portion of the screw !!...

A drop of lubricant before, and to let it soak for a few minutes will ease up this unscrewing operation !!....

I've done so on some of my very old lenses plate screws & cameras, and it worked !!...

Very important to remember, that this is a delicate process, and mostly recommended to be done when in a "Fully Rested and Relaxed Mood" !!... Rushing it, in't the best solution !!...

Good Luck !!...
And let us know how it worked out !?...

R.........

Don

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used the same method as the last poster. For replacement metric screws,check out www.nwsl.com/catalog/cat8-01-v0403.pdf. NWSL is a supplier of model RR products & can be found or ordered thru a well stocked hobbyshop.
Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration