Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

G.A.F. Memo/Point Five re-assembly--l... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » G.A.F. Memo/Point Five re-assembly--lens elements « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I've taken apart most of my GAF 'Point Five' RF. Unfortunately, the lens elements fell out onto the table, and I've no idea what order & orientation they need to go back together in. Does anybody have a link to a diagram of the three elements?

Barring that, can anyone explain the order?

Thanks,

-CJ

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a bit generic, it might help...

The front element is usually the largest one; it will be strongly convex on the front surface and relatively flat on the back. The rear element is probably a cemented pair; essentially flat on the inboard face and convex on the outer rear face. If it's a single element, it may have a little more curvature on the inner face but the stronger curve will still be to the outside.

The center element is the tricky one. It will be strongly concave on both sides, and there is no obvious way to tell which way goes to the front. If the edge is beveled on one side, the bevel probably goes into the mount first, so this might help you orient it. Otherwise you just have to put it together and try it; if the focus doesn't register correctly or it gives horrendous quality toward the edges, try reversing the center element.

You can save time by checking it on a groundglass in the film plane rather than loading up with film to find out what it looks like.

rick :)=

CJ

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Rick! I'm slogging though this GAF disaster on a couple of fronts...

It sounds as though I've got the middle and rear element reversed, but since the camera isn't completely assembled, it shouldn't be a big deal to swap them.

Oh but that's the least of it:

F#**$ SOLDERING problem: I had the lens elements in place, and had almost finished reassembling--had only to attach the frontmost bezel which incorporates the ASA wheel and photocell. I ran into a problem, however: one of the wires that attaches to that bezel came loose from it's ancient solder point. The problem is that I'm not good at soldering, I've got precious little wire to work with, and...I can't figure out how to juggle my Cold Heat soldering iron, the solder...and keep the wire against the front bezel contact at the same time. Worse yet, the ground wire is right next to it, so if I'm careless with the solder, I'll have a short.

I've cataloged the parts and have shelved the camera for the moment...too frustrated. This one was to be my sacrificial & self-schooling camera, but it would be nice if I could actually get the thing to work again. I fixed the original problem, (+ wire eaten through @ battery compartment) but the lens elements plopped out when I hadn't intended, (hence my original post) along with the "+" wire breaking at a different point during reassembly.

Thanks again for your help as I ride this mobius curve of camera disrepair...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration