Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electro Spotmatic problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Electro Spotmatic problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kim Coxon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have just aquired a very Electro Spotmatic at a very reasonable price. Cosmetically it is very good and seems to be sound mechanically apart from one problem. In manual mode all the shutter speeds seem about right. If I go to auto, the meter works and it appears to agree with a hand held. However, when you press the shutter release, the camera always fires at one speed which "by sight" seems to be 1/1000. Now I come to the really odd bit. The camera was described as "working correctly and metering normally on manual but meter doesn't work on auto". Now before anyone shoots me down in flames, I thought that this was very odd. I do have an ES and the meter only works on Auto. I queried this and the guy was adamant that it works with manual speeds. The camera duly arrived this morning and I put an SMC 1.4 on to see the problem quickly before going out and yes the meter neddle appeared to give the right indications in manual. I was in a rush but wondered if this was peculiar to the Electro version as AOHC says that the electronics were changed for the ES. I went out came back and then had a really good play and moved all the knobs and dials around to see if I could get the auto setting working. This didn't work but the meter no longer works in manual. I don't know what I did and I know it sounds daft but I am sure the meter needle was moving with a manual speed selected when the camera arrived.

Now the big question. The shutter speeds seem to work and the meter appears to work but not together in Auto mode. Does anyone know if this is a common problem and if so is there a relatively easy fix. If not, I will take it to my friendly repair man with the next set of Spotties I am due to get himm to sort.

Regards
Kim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration