Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkormat Viewfinder -- how accurate? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikkormat Viewfinder -- how accurate? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nikkormat FTN with which I've shot all sorts of subjects since I bought it in 1972. Recently I discovered that during very precise tabletop photography that the eyepiece does not accurately disclose the area photographed. Specifically, in a horizontal mode, shooting at 9' with a 135 mm lens, about 1 3/4 inches is recorded above what the eyepiece records, and about 1/2 inch below. I pressed my eye carefully to the lens. I repeated this several times to make sure.

Is this problem built into these relatively ancient workhorse cameras? Or can this be repaired?

charlie

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because of all the possible tolerances in SLR viewing (mirror placement, mirror pivot slop, prism placement, prism manuf. tolerances, etc., etc.) I think they purposely make the image smaller than the actual field of view. I have read 85% to 90% of the final image is the industry standard. Someone else may have 1/2 inch above and 1 3/4 below. As long as you know you can plan for it.

rick

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The number of SLRs with 100% viewfinder coverage is almost zero. The Nikon F and F2 come to mind, there are probably a couple of others. Nikkormats are not among them.

A case could be made that it is not even desirable to have a 100% viewfinder, as there is almost no such thing as a 100% print or slide except in cases where the outer unexposed film area is left in the final image. For most people, it's better to get 100% of your intended image than to utilize 100% of your film area. Of course, those who feel otherwise are entitled to their views as well.

:)=

M Currie

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have read that the Nikkormat FTn has 92 percent coverage, which is pretty common. I think the idea is, as rick says, that it's better to get a little too much in than to miss a little, especially since slide mounts often encroach on the image area. I still prefer the F's unflinching 100 percent coverage. Let the photographer do the thinking.

Here's a link for Nikkormat specs. Part of a deep, wide and juicy site for all sorts of Nikon lore, well worth bookmarking:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/fseries/ftn/index.htm

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration