Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax film rewind problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax film rewind problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

giuliani

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard Pentax ME Super cameras suffer from problems with the film rewind, now mine is refusing to wind the film back. The camera itself continues to take pictures over and over again on the final frame, and I'm able to wind the advance lever and press the shutter as normal, even though the film has definitely ended. When I turn the crank to rewind the film absolutely nothing happens. I've never had this problem before, could it be that the lever has been forced or something is broken inside? I'm worried that it's going to be impossible to remove the film without losing the contents. I can hear an odd click after i advance the lever and press the rewind button that isnt normally there, as if the camera is setting itself back to take a picture again.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Brokaw

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps your film has pulled loose from the film cartridge and is all wound over to the takeup spool... this would result in a 'never-ending' roll of film, with everything working as normal otherwise.

To remove your film, use a changing bag or a very well sealed dark room, open the back and unwind the film from the takeup spool. Pull up the rewind knob (which is necessary to open the camera back), remove the film cartridge -- at this point you will be able to tell just by touch if the film has pulled out of the cartridge. If yes, then just set the cartridge aside. If the film is still attached, remove the cartridge from the camera and lift the film loose of the sprockets so that it is only hanging on to the takeup spool. Then push and hold the rewind button, and unwind the film off the takeup spool... coil the film up, and wrap it in some aluminum foil or other light-tight wrapping, place in a lightproof (black plastic is probably necessary) film cannister and take to the processor. Be SURE to tell them the film is loose inside the cannister... of course if you process yourself this isn't necessary.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration