Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM frame counter stuck--won't a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon FM frame counter stuck--won't advance or reset « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 05:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

My Nikon FM's frame counter is stuck at 16. It will not increment at all when I'm making exposures, and it won't reset when I rewind the film, open the door, and remove the roll.

I recall reading somewhere that there's some sort of lever or screw underneath she shutter release button that may or may not be accessible when the back is open. I'm not sure what the purpose of that thing is, but I figured I'd ask here, hoping that perhaps someone has had the same problem:

Is there a short and quick fix to this, akin to just "jiggling the handle", or does fixing this entail more invasive or drastic procedures?

Thanks,

-CJ

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, CJ.
Is the top plate dented at all? Did the counter just suddenly stop working? If it has gotten bent in any way or if it is running eliptically, it will hang at one edge. Also, I believe there is a thin metal shroud which sits above the counter wheel...it could be part of the trouble. Any of the repairs to the counter will require removal of the top plate. It isn't too difficult, but parts of the chore can be a little "fiddly."
Jon

CJ

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,

Yes, your 'damage' suspicion is correct: The FM has a 1 cm indentation right in/at the corner between the counter and the strap lug. (Previous owner; I take no blame for that one)

I've taken the tops of RF cameras off, but never an SLR. It seems a bit daunting to me at the moment because of the focusing bits & pentaprism stuff. Do you think this fix is going to entail new parts? Or perhaps a bit of dent-pulling?

-CJ

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, CJ.
That would do it. I think you could use two pieces of hard wood to push it out a bit and make everything work better again...set the top plate on one and tap on the back side with another. Taking this off won't be too bad. If you're familiar with rangefinders, you're ahead of the game. Rick Oleson may have kept some notes on this. I'll e:mail him and ask.
Jon

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a sketch for removing the top cover from the Nikon FM. Please email me if you'd like a copy of it.

[email protected]

Andreas Berg

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did this repair last year. The camera had been equipped with a "soft release" that had got a knock, and bent the top plate quite badly. I took it off and strightened it just as goodman describes, after removing the shutter release collar. The frame counter disc was also bent, but I "ironed" it straight with the top of my tweezers. The hard part was the on/off meter switch, which is rather robust, but was badly bent just the same. After bending it back in a small vice, I honed it flat and smooth on a sharpening stone. I had verry litle experience with this kind of work, but everything went fine, so don't give up! Good luck. And get a repair manual. It is quite reassuring to have one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration