Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Maybe a repair question concerning Ya... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Maybe a repair question concerning Yashica Electro35MC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Winfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found that the exposure control is working, but in low light the exposure times are approx. 1/2 of those indicated by my Profisix lightmeter and approx. 1/2 of what an almost mint Electro35GSN performs. Any hints how to correct his other than 'correcting' the ASA setting?

Reiner

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried,

are you shure that the difference is not due to a different measurement angke of the MC's light meter compared to the others? Half time means one f-stop. That would be quite a lot but still possible. At the other hand I often made the experience that the CDS light meters are not very precise in really low light conditions and that they tend to underexposure.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, as mentioned, I checked it with both the Profisix and the Electro35GSN. The meter of the latter should have a similar metering angle as the one of the Electro35MC. I pointed towards an evenly lit wall, so minor differences in metering angle should not matter. The Profisix is a well-known professional grade light meter. I checked it against a colleague's Lunasix F and it showed exactly the same values. Also, I had good results with some other cameras from the Electro series in low light, so I was amazed the 35MC is obviously one stop off.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked the instructions provided by Roger Provins again and found that the AE is specified up to 4 sec exposure only, maybe it gets inaccurate when setting longer times. A film test will reveal whether the AE system works correctly under normal lighting conditions. Too sad there is no way to see whether the camera sets speeds slower than 1/30. This is a nice feature to check the meter of the E35G's - the one I compared to the 35MC was dead on compared to the Profisix.

casper

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possible cause can be 'pad of death'.
See www.yashica-guy.com

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fortunately this is a much later design than the generic Electro35G series. The later members of the E35 family like the 35GX/FC/CC all avoided this pad. I am sure the 35MC does not have one, either, also the AE operation seems to be quite different from other Electro35 series cameras.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem solved: checked again against an evenly lit wall and set the aperture to a value for which my lightmeter shows 1 sec, 2 sec, 4 sec. At least the 2 sec and 4 sec exposure seems to be pretty tight to the meter reading. It seems that the shutter behaves oddly in very low light when it is 'forced' to open longer than 4 sec.

WernerJB

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Winfried, I can positively confirm your findings, especially the last one, both of my 35MCs (and also the Petri "Computor II") are somewhat incorrect when exposure times are in the several secs range.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration