Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax k1000: Help! my photos ARE hal... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax k1000: Help! my photos ARE half bad!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

J. Eastman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i started using my old p/k1000 again after a few years in the closet and now all my shots are half or a third darkened! the walmart photo jerk says my flash is out of sync, but half the photo is perfect,so i'm not buying that.I'll try to attatch an example so you can see what i mean.any help would be great, thanx

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you were using flash and the shutter was set above 1/60 of second--Walmart is right.

Jim Murray

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have the camera serviced-clean, lube, adjust by a
technician familiar with your type of camera. The
problem sounds like the follower shutter curtain
rod is catching up to the leader, so that part of
the film is never exposed to light.

j. Eastman

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here are two examples of my dysfunction: \image badshot1.jpg and \image badshot2.jpg

J. Eastman

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

why would a speed of over 1/60 cause a flash prob? and how would one go about sync. a flash ?

Steve

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On your camera, and many others, 1/60th of a second is the fastest shutter speed at which the entire film plane is exposed at one time. When you snap the photo at 1/60th, the shutter curtains are set far enough apart to allow the entire film plane to be exposed when the flash fires. Faster shutter speeds require a smaller opening between the shutter curtains, and as this opening moves across the film plane, the flash is triggered. Because of this, only a portion of the film plane is exposed when the flash fires, giving you a partially-exposed photo. Not all cameras have the same sync speed. Some newer cameras are much faster. The only way to sync the flash is to make sure your flash pictures are taken at the flash sync shutter speed specific to your camera. It is always possible that there is something mechanically wrong with the shutter, like a broken spring, dirt, misaligned parts, etc. Double-checking your sync speed is the cheapest thing to check. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration