Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Focusing distance Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Focusing distance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bernd Ebach

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the question:

If I want to take a tack sharp image of the wall in front of me and I put my lens to its near focusing end and the marking on my lens says say 0.9 m, to which bench mark on the camera do I have to measure the distance (asuming the lens is perfectly aligned)? The film plane, the lens front element or somehwhere in-between?

clive

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Bernd Ebach.

The Film Plane Is the point to measure the distance.

Best Regards Clive

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clive is correct, that is the normal standard.

If you are using an add-on closeup lens, however, you set your camera lens to infinity and measure from the plane of the closeup lens.

: ) =

charlie

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure all cameras measure from the film plane. Those that do often have a film plane line engraved on the top cover of the camera. If you don't see a line check other sources of info as rto where to measure.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, the focus distance for all cameras should be measured from the film plane, except in the case Rick mentioned above. Just because the manufacturer omitted to include a film-plane indicator on the camera doesn't mean this isn't the proper place to measure from. (For instance, none of my Commie cams--former Soviet Leica-copy rangefinders--have such marks, but they measure to the film plane just like any other camera.)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration