Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Advice on Vivitar 24 lightmeter batte... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Advice on Vivitar 24 lightmeter battery... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex Kinnan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy,

I just acquired something very cute... A Vivitar 24 lightmeter that seems designed to fit in a camera shoe!

I thought this would be the solution to my meterless camera problems, but alas! I opened the manual to find that it requires a dreaded PX675 mercury battery...

It actually has one in it right now that smells like it's on the verge of leaking and has a tiny bit of charge left on it. I suspect I will be tossing it soon...

Which leaves me with a dead meter.

There doesn't really seem to be any convenient place to drill an air hole in the thing for the use of Zinc-Air batteries, and the one place I found that has a 1.5v to 1.35v adapter in 675-size is out of stock, though if they weren't they want nearly fifty bucks for one anyway. Too much or, more to the point, too high a percentage of the price of a brand new Gossen Digisix...

SO...

Does anyone here know of the Vivitar 24 and whether or not it can run on a 1.5v battery?

Or...

If they can be easily and cheaply modified to take them?

Or...

If there exist any 675-sized battery adapters that don't cost anywhere near $50.00?

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, I am caught up in the strange moment where my enthusiasm over getting the meter rapidly changes into annoyance at not getting to use it.

Thanks,

Alex

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My recommendation would be to use a #675 Zinc/Air hearing aid battery. The voltage is correct and flat, no recalibration is needed, and the batteries sell in multipacks for less than a dollar a cell. They last pretty much indefinitely in storage until you activate them by removing a sticker.... after that my experience has been that they typcally last about 6-8 months. Other people report different results, maybe as short as 3 months. Other approaches are possible, but if you can stand to replace the cells as required, this is the most accurate, easiest and least expensive of them all.... which is not a bad combination of characteristics.

my further prattle on the subject is at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-111.html

: ) =

Mark Pearce

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 05:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used a Vivitar 24 for several years untill I discovered the even smaller Sekonic Micro Junior. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the switch would often flip itself on when mounted on a camera worn around the neck.
I wouldn't worry about drilling holes to use the zinc-air cells, the casing isn't all that airtight.
MP

Alex Kinnan

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, so far. It didn't occur to me that the casing might be less than airtight... That's good to know, as I don't really want to scrounge around for the appropriate drilling equipment anyway.

Can't seem to find any info yet on the Micro Junior, though there are a couple of Micro Leaders on eBay right now. I assume those are also designed for 1.35v operation?

It's nice to know that this meter has been heard of and used by other people -- I was beginning to fear that it (and maybe the world itself) didn't really exist.

I suppose I'll try the Zinc-Air option first, though I'd still like to get the thing converted over to 1.5v silver capability someday, if possible.

I put it on a camera last night and it just looked so nifty sitting there, like something out of the original "Star Trek" broadcast television series. I almost expected the character "Mister Spock" to turn up so's that I could take his picture, which he would then show neither pleasure nor disdain for, regardless of quality. If the picture turned out poorly, then I would surely praise Vulcan logic.

Anywho, I digress. Thanks for the advice, so far. That illustration your page, Rick, is pretty cool -- did you do it? Very nice.

Alex

Mark Pearce

Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Micro Junior (L-138) uses the dreaded PX13/625 1.35v mercury cell. They don't turn up on eBay too often.
There's also a nifty little Yashica clip-on Cds meter, YEM35 I think.It's a little smaller than the Vivitar 24, about the same size as the Micro Junior.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration