Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat 124 Timer Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Mat 124 Timer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Ellis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received (free of charge!) a Yashica Mat 124 (my second one) in almost mint condition except that self timer lever is bent. The shutter didn't work when I first got it, but after taking the shutter apart I noticed that the bent lever was keeping the little metal piece above the timer mechanism from moving down. I bent the timer level back a little and then the shutter could open normally. But the timer still doesn't work. When you push it to turn it on it just moves over with normal resistance but without engaging the gears.

Anyone have experience with adjusting the timer to work?

Winfried

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should check

www.daniel.mitchell.name

for information on Copal shutters - AFAIK these were used on the Yashicas. However, sometimes self timers are beyond repair. The lever is linked to the gear via a ratchet spring and wheel, and if the spring breaks the lever just will be pulled backwards without moving the gears. You will need an identical shutter to cannibalize the self timer gears.

Clive

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 01:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Ben

Yashica 124 Are one of my favorite cameras.

Yes indeed someone has forced the self-timer

mech. I can repair this unit for you or supply a new self-timer if you wish

Contact me on my email address if you wish.

Note I am based in Rep. of Ireland.

Best Regards Clive.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a nice offer from Clive. Personally, I consider self timers to be the gift of Satan, especially when they're built into leaf shutters. Go ahead and get it fixed, but then resist at all costs the temptation to use it....

rick : ) =

Ben Ellis

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link Winfried, it looks like it will be useful.

Thanks also to Clive for your offer, but I think I'll be able to fix it. If not, it doesn't really matter because the actual shutter works great. The only time I use the self timer is when I forget my cable release.

I actually have a working self timer mechanism from another yashica mat shutter, so if I can't fix the one in this shutter then maybe I can transplant the other.

Thanks All

Ben Ellis

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got the self timer to work by replacing it with a self timer from another shutter. Everything works great now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration