Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rangefinder reapair on Yashica electro Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Rangefinder reapair on Yashica electro « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

lele

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all.
I want to repair a yashica GSN with a broken rangefinder. My cameras focus ring rotates correctly, but the rangefinder is no more coupled with it (I think that the mechanism that should trasmit motion from the focus ring to the rangefinder is broken).
I'd like to know how can I reach the broken part and if someone had (and solved!) the same problem .
Thank you in advance,
LL

Winfried

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After removing the top cover and the internal dust cover of the rangefinder assembly you can easily take off the rangefinder assembly. It is held in place by 3 or 4 screws close to the corners (on the bottom of the assembly).

Check the levers on the underside of the assembly and their hairsprings. Sometimes you find stuck bearings which can be freed by moving them with force and applying some thin oil.

The coupling from the focus ring is done via a bracket attached to the rear of the lens barrel. It has a tab protruding to the top. A pin of one of the rangefinder levers should run against it.

lele

Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I followed your advices and... It worked!

Thank you very much, now my rangefinder is working well. I think I still have some electrical problems (yellow and red leds seems to turn on rarely) but I think the exposimeter is working well. I documented my experience with some good macro shots and I will publish this photos asap (maybe someone will find it useful...)

Next step in order to have a perfectly working GSN will be to understand why my leds seems to be dead...

Best regards and thank you again

lele

Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update: I write some lines about this story on my site. There are also some internal photos...
http://bienne.idohost.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=yashicarepair

P.S. What can I check if over- and under-exposure lamps don't turn on? Exposure times seems to be correct as I change f-stop, film speed and light condition, but lamps don't turn on when they should.
Where is located the contact that should turn on the leds when I press the button? Can I access it from top or bottom? Thanks in advance!

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The meter contacts are located behind the front plate, but they do not switch the lamps directly, they are turned on and off by the electronic assembly. You should check the lamps for continuity first, sometimes they are broken, although I have never seen both lamps broken at the same time.

Another point: I once received an E35G with seemingly broken lamps (as stated by the seller). The problem was that the lower part of the shutter release shaft was permanently locked in the lower position by the latch under the bottom plate. I found this after hours searching for other problems. Rebending the lever which holds the shaft solved the problem.

Robert Conley

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi say i have a yashica gsn and when i chock the camera and push the shutter botten the low light comes on but the hi light wont come on the low light stays on and when i click the shutter button all the way the shutter opens but won't close until i cock it again any answer what is worng? thank you

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration