Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RD - removing front lens a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus 35 RD - removing front lens assembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fredrik Kempe

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, just got a beautiful specimen of the Oly 35 RD. The shutter is stuck though. Followed Henry Taber´s nice article on how to get to the shutter. All whent smooth until I had to remove the front lens assembly. I can´t. Even through what seems like extreme violence. No major damage done though - except to my ego and to that most valuable asset when attempting camera repair; my peace of mind. A few scratches to the metal ring and flanges. How can the **** thing be that tight? Did the glue the threads? Does it really open counter clockwise (or am I tightening it)? Any ideas - anyone? Shall I make a special tool - and try even more force? Or is there an alternative way to fix the sticky shutter. Gave up last night and re-assembled it in order not to loose any parts.

All moral support will be appreciated.

Regards,
Fredrik

henry

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fredrik, I wrote that article and even made a special tool. And as you read in the article the special tool was turned so hard it deformed the slots and came out. The tool was custom sized and fit perfectly. I used acetone to try to loosened the joint before, during and after the special tool.

Finally had to resort to a drift and hammer. It was that tight!

I don't think there is any other way to get to the blades.

Henry

Reiner

Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a likewise experience with Olys 35 RD. I solved the problem by the help of plumbers pliers. I have been very carefull and covered the claws with a strip of plated copper. It did not leave any marks or scratches. Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration