Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2 shutter, timer escapem... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Konica Auto S2 shutter, timer escapement & aperture cleaning. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

I've dismantled my Konica Auto S2 (from the front) to the point where I've exposed the timer and shutter escapement, as well as the aperture blades. I'm posting this update so that anybody who reads this can advise or throw a flag on something I've done wrong. Please feel free to do so.

I've gone in to fix:

- occasional shutter lock-up problems: Advance lever won't advance, shutter button won't move. Unexplainably, and with some fiddling, this goes away. (?!)

- aperture stuck at ~f/16

- slow shutter speeds seem very sluggish.

I've been flushing the aperture blades (and hopefully the shutter blades behind them) with Ronsonol. That stuff is amazing: I touched the newly exposed aperture blades last night with a Q-tip soaked in the liquid, and as soon as it seeped across a couple of blades, kablammo--aperture immediately sprung open to f/1.8!

The slow shutter speeds still seem a bit sluggish, and it's very apparent that the aperture blades open sluggishy--they don't spring open (this, after the first treatment with naptha--while positioned normally in the sink--and drying overnight). I flushed everything again as above this evening, and I'm going to let it dry tonight. So...

Undoubtedly I've gotten the Ronsonol on the rear lens element. I didnt' want to do this, but I don't consider myself brave or expert enough to try and take the lens itself off. My intention is to clean that rear element with lens cleaner prior to reassembling everything. Is this the right way to go?

Thanks,

-CJ

howard

Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi CJ
What you are doing sounds fine, but be aware that if you use too much Ronsonol you may flush out the grease in the focussing helical which will make it too loose.
Cleaning the rear lens element prior to reassemble is fine.
If you use the keyword search facility on the left of the screen you will find a lot of info on the best way to clean the blades and aperture.
Regards,
Howard

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 02:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is not the Ronsonol you see on the lens element but residues of grease. Ronsonol evaporates without visible traces. You should wipe the lens surface gently with some fresh Ronsonol.

Concerning your intermittent lock-up problem, you should check the double-wind latch under the bottom plate.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration