Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmatic SP-II Mirror Return ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax Spotmatic SP-II Mirror Return and Meter Operation Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rafadavidc

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i inherited a spotmatic and an sp2 from my dad, along with a few lenses.

the spotmatic works great, actually, and it's a lot of fun to use. however, there are problems with the sp2.

the mirror locks in the up position, even when the exposure is complete. this occurs with roughly half of all shutter releases. i have been unable to reproduce the problem consistently and have been unable to establish any sort of pattern whatsoever. i have reached in and tried to release it by hand, and watched the mechanisms during an exposure and made as many observations as i could.

all i could observe were the following:

the foam is fine; it does not stick, and i cannot return the mirror with my finger; it is locked into position. also, when the mirror swings up, there are small pieces of metal that seem to move into a position to hold it up during the exposure. when the mirror remains locked up, these do not recede as they do when the mirror actually returns.

i removed the bottom of the camera to observe mechanical movements of things during an exposure and decided that my limited (read: zero) knowledge of the camera's construction and inner workings did not allow me to actually do anything in there.

what is there that can be done? is there a repair manual or other book i could read?

--RC

rafadavidc

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

by the way, i'm looking to offload this old m42 gear. if you would like to acquire it, please let me know.

--RC

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

look at tyhe center-bottom of camera and you will see a gear with a stud that hits a lever that unlocks the mirror. Curtain tension may be weak so that the stud does not hit the lever with sufficient force.

rafadavidc

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

as per the standard law of troubleshooting, i cannot reproduce the problem to observe what you have described. however, i'll keep working at it and post back if i see it happen again.

if indeed what you have described is the problem, how do i adjust curtain tension to correct it? is this something i myself should not do?

--RC

rafadavidc

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have been able to establish a pattern.

it seems to happen most between 1/15 and 1/125. (these speeds also seem to have incorporated a squeaking sound. is this a problem?) it also happens most frequently with the lens pointing straight down.

after observing the gear with the stud, i am able to verify that it is indeed failing to strike the elbow bar with enough force to release the mirror spring. every time the mirror fails to return, i am able to complete the job myself by moving the elbow bar with my finger so that the mirror spring may return.

now how do i fix this?

--RC

rafadavidc

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bump?

--RC

mjvit

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1)Any way to:
Convert Pentax bayonet mount lens (like K-1000)to (Spotmatic 2) screw type?

2)Any recommended used lens stores - either brick & mortor or on-line?

rafadavidc

Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there are bayonette-m42 adapters, just as there are m42-bayonette adapters.

i strongly recommend keh.com

--RC

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can mount M42 lenses on a K bayonet camera but if you use a K bayonet lens on a M42 mount camera, via an adapter you cannot focus to infinity.The bayonet is of a larger diameter than M42 and the focal plane to flange distance too similar to allow the bayonet to stack on the M42 threads and still get infinity focus.There are many adapters being sold on eBay that are useless except for close-up work.

melvin g. krick

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I have the same mirror stays up problem that rafadavidc has posted. Can anyone tell me the solution? I don't want to take the Spotmatic apart and repair cost by a repair shop would be way to high. Is lube on the moving parts on the bottom of the camera indicated?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration