Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica ST605 Shutter Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Fujica ST605 Shutter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have recently inherited an ST605. Everything seems to work fine apart from needing new seals (No problem thanks to Jon) and a problem with the shutter. The camera seems to be fine on B and the faster speeds ie 1/60 - 1/700. However on the slower speeds, 1/30 and below, the shutter opens but stays open with the mirror up until either a "fast" speed or B is selected. Can anyone give me a clue where to start or point me to a repair manual.

Many thanks
Kim

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Kim.
When you operate the camera on the lower settings, how does the second curtain travel? Does it zing across the opening fairly quickly or does it move across lazily? How about the "B" setting?
I think the problem may be a sticking second curtain...actually I just received one of these, and I'll take a look later tonight. It has been a while since I've been inside one. Neat camera, though. One of not-too-many screwmounts with a split dot focusing screen and normally a good meter.
Jon

Kim

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,
There is no movement on the second curtain. The first curtain goes and then nothing on any of the speeds 1/2 to 1/30 until you select B or a fast speed. Works fine above and on B. I rather the suspect a problem with the slow speed controller.

Kim

Kim

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,
An update. I took the bottom plate off and the problem would appear to be in the slow speed escarpment. With the lens mount away from you, there is a funny shaped lever mounted on a silver arm just to the left of centre. At 1/60 and above this arm is moved out of the way. At the slower speeds, it appears the escarpment is not running. As soon as you move the arm out the way, the shutter completes it's travel. The gears within the escarpment can be moved but there doesn't appear to be any movement in them when the shutter is cocked. I am not sure whether the gear train is not running or whether is is not being "cocked".

Regards
Kim

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agreed, Kim. No movement in the second curtain on the slow speeds tells us the escape movement is not doing its work. I'll look at mine tonight and see how a working one looks.
Jon

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Kim.
I finally got a chance to look at the 605, but I can not see anything that would cause the escape movement not to work except possibly grease or dirt. It seems very straightforward. Have you tried cleaning it? Possibly if you dropped a bit of naphtha on it and tried it a time or two we could see if it would free up. Sometimes these get oiled along the way, but I like to run them almost dry...very little oil at all.
Jon

kim

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,
DONE IT!! Many thanks for your help. The problem wasn't with the escapement but that came out and got cleaned anyway. The problem was with the cam that operates it. The "grey" plate on the "silver" arm wasn't able to turn properly as it was too gummed up. Took this out, cleaned and lubed it and it all works again. Now where did I put my seal kit?

I am really pleased with myself. I have done lots of "maintenance", such as seals, recovering and even a couple of paint jobs but this is my first proper repair that means a broken camera now works. All I have to do now is to work out how to fix the shutter on an AX1.

Regards
Kim

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great! Another camera miracle wrought! Does the meter work on the AX1? There is a microswitch in there...the one that is activated when the shutter button is slightly depressed. If it even gets a little out of line, the meter will never turn on. Odd design, and it took me over an hour to find the trouble.
Jon

Kim

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Again,
Everything works except that regardless of any settings, the shutter appears to fire at 1/1000 except both curtains go together. Elsewhere on here there is a bit about it which suggests that it is the capacitor that's gone. I will need to find a replacement to check.

Kim

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Kim. This one has a mechanical shutter, and the battery only powers the meter. I'm afraid there won't be a capacitor or magnet problem to worry with. We need to trace back to find out why the second curtain is acting this way.
Jon

Kim

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,
The link I saw was here https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/fujicasupplement.html Under the base plate, there are 2 small electromagnets which each have a linkage to trip one curtain or so it seems. I can trip each one separately. As I understood it, the timing is electronic and it energises these magnets via the capcitor to provide the timing for the shutter. The article seemed to suggest that if the cap is shot there is insufficient power to hold the second curtain. If I can persuade the other half the help so I have 4 hands, I will have another play trying to "hold" each the the releases.

Kim

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Kim.
Yes, but you're working on the ST605, right? The shutter in it is all mechanical.

Kim

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,
I think I have confused the issue and perhaps I should have started a new thread! Last Friday, I said that I had managed to fix the 605 with your excellent help. I then went on to say that the next job was fixing the AX1 and you asked me about the meter so I thought we had moved on to that! Having done some more research, it would appear that it is not the main capacitor as I thought because this would cause a complete failure of the shutter. However, it may be a problem with a one of the small timing caps or a broken wire/faulty connection. It looks as though it is magnifying glass and meter time again.

Regards
Kim

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha! Yes, you did mention that. Sorry, my mind was still stuck on the first one. Yes, the AX1 will have electronic issues. I'd agree it is time to start tracing the circuit backwards (or forwards, depending on your point of view). I'll try to pay attention better, Kim.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration