Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex SL35-E Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Rolleiflex SL35-E « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

René Glad

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there!

I am trying to accuire a user manual for my newly bought Rolleiflex SL35-E - equivalent to Voigtländer VSL-3 E.

Can anybody help with an electronic copy of this!

If not - then maybe some instructions on how to use it, or some clarification whether it needs repair or what?

I just put in a new battery, but the mirror just stays "locked" in the "up-right" position. Is there a way to unlock this, or is the camera broke?

Can anybody give me some general instructions of the controls, functions and settings of the camera?

Thanks in advance

Best regards René

René Glad

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 06:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the double posting >:o/ I am new to this forum!

Regards René

Dale Marsh

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have experience using Rolleflex 35 SLRs since the 80s. I have used a SL35E since about 1986. I will share my experience with trying to get this camera repaired.

I found a web site (don't recall off hand) that had disassembly instructions. I was able to get my camera's top off, however, the problem with mine and I suspect with many other 'broken' SL35Es is that some component of the shutter is broken.

When I last inquired Marflex they no longer serviced the SL35E.

From what I understand from other postings, the shutter mechanism is no longer available and currently is not easily or affordably repaired.

I have put my SL35E on the shelf with my old folding cameras in hopes that some day perhaps an affordable shutter repair may some day be possible.

My SL2000F and 3003s still work fine and are still 'repairable' from what I understand. There are some situations where a 'conventional' type SLR is more comfortable and who knows what will happen in the future. Perhaps a camera company will take an interest in the Rollei lens mount and produce something like the Bessa line of cameras with the Rollei mount.

Robert

Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, your camera can suffer many possibilities between control setting confusion to hopelessly locked up.
In the best of situations, the camera is in "Time exposure mode" - the shutter is open on Bulb and the shutter release lock is on. In the worst case, it's seized up and needs a thorough CLA.
A middle situation has the evil mirror flywheel gummed up to the point of seizing the mirror up.
So, is the shutter open? Is the transport locked? Can you push the mirror down with your fingernail? Are there signs of rust?

Hannu Koski

Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realize this a year too late, but in case someone has been sitting and wondering how to make a Rollei SL35E/Voightlander VSL 3-E with the mirror locked in the up position work again, here's some relief: the camera most propably is not beyond repair. You just have to clean the shutter lamells and propably the mirror mechanism. This ofcourse might seem like a mission impossible, but in fact is not. All you have to do is open the bottom of the camera, just three small screws. The cleaning operations can then be carried out with help of some solvent (gasoline& rust-removing oil)and compressed air. It's a half-hour job and afterwards the camera works like new. To those in distress I'll be glad to give further advice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration