Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Push-on lens caps extinct? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Push-on lens caps extinct? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Perhaps this is an odd question but what happened to the 'normal' push-on lens caps of yore? It's rare that I see them for sale these days.

The type I usually see (any buy) is the spring-loaded variety. Which is fine, for the most part, but I've been noticing that if something pushes on the lens rim when the camera is in a bag, this will often release one of the spring loaded tabs, and the hard plastic cap gets loose, just looking for an opportunity to jab your lens or filter the next time you set the bag down.

Has anybody noticed this, or am I over reacting?

The older, soft plastic/rubber caps worked nicely. And when they came off, it's a fair bet that they wouldn't do something nasty to the glass.

The only disadvantage I see with the push-on type is that, when they get old, they sometimes won't fit as snugly. (The OEM Vivitar cap on my 35ES comes off all the time)

Your Pedantic Cap Keeper,

-CJ

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never had my Canon clip-ons come off in a bag or case,always a first time I suppose!However I have just been trying to find a Hoya 62mm push on cap,to use on a Hoya super slim filter-no female threads on these-no joy.Here in UK the Distributor says production stopped a few years ago and non left.Have not found alternative and filter is not so cheap as to leave unprotected.Can see I will have to turn one up out of scrap alloy.So to answer your question perhaps you are over reacting,but the lack of these items is damned annoying.

Kim

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have suffered a similiar problem of "loose" caps. I use one of the seal kits of eBay from Jon Goodman who sells as interslice. In his kit is some fabric seal strip which I cut and stick either 4 or 6 pieces around the inside of the cap and the problem is soved.

Regards
Kim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration