Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 4A meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Kiev 4A meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This Kiev 4A (year1966)was advertised as mint, and indeed it is. All functions including slow speeds are OK. The problem is the meter. It works and is very active, but it sees far too much light - when it should be, say, 1/125 f=4 it says 1/125 f=22. It is my understanding that the various problems with old selenium meters (corroded contacts, etc.) always work in the opposite direction (the meter sees too few light), so??? I though I could correct this with the small adjustement screw on the meter's back, but it turns freely ad infinitum in both directions - which I don't think is normal. Next step? Should I try to remove the meter cover - but to lok for what? Thanks

rick

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think I've ever seen one of these things read high like that. The adjustment screw, assuming it's working okay, only shifts the paper meter scale forward and back slightly for fine adjustment, it can't handle a 4-stop error. Are you sure you have the control dials set right?

(btw, the 4 is the one with the meter; 4A is the meterless model. seems odd....)

Ezio

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, of course you OK,it is a 4. AFAIK GOST values are more or less close to ASA (90 GOST =100 ASA, 180 GOST =200 ASA etc.), so I set the dial between 65 and 130 to compare the readings with a Luna-Pro and aF2/DP2 both set at 100 ASA. To obtain the same readings with the Kiev, I must set the dial at 8 GOST (this being the lower figure). Strange.

rick

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that is strange. i wish we could take my kiev 4 and yours and average them .... mine's about 4 stops low :)=

i've never made a serious attempt to fix mine...

Roger Provins

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Contax III which when I first got it the meter was reacting similarly to yours. I stripped it down (also to clean the view/rangefinder) and thoroughly cleaned all the contacts (giving special attention the rotary strip and wiper) with electronic contact cleaner solution. It now gives reasonably correct reading. I did not touch the selenium cell.

Ezio

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roger. Where are these contacts/strip/wiper located?Inside the meter housing, or under the control dial?

Roger Provins

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strip down the rewind/meter dial completely. It's not difficult (at least on a Contax III) and quite intuitive to rebulid - nothing nasty :-)

dave passmore

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, go here for Kiev repair info: http://www3.telus.net/public/kaylalyn/cleaning%20and%20repairs.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration