Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE1 (non-program) rewind button... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE1 (non-program) rewind button stuck IN - shutter won't release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

patdough

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Canon AE-1 has a problem! The last time I took out a roll of film, I depressed the rewind button, re-wound the film, opened the back cover and took out the roll with no problem. The problem is that the rewind button stayed depressed -- and now nothing happens when I press the shutter button -- and therefore I can't advance any new roll of film.

The battery is fine.

Ideas would be appreciated. The local camera store said it would cost me $120 for them to do a "basic service". Ouch!

Tom

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like there is a problem with winding mechanism. Either winding shaft needs to be replaced or the release magnet. We service this model and our estimate is not nearly as high. Our flat rate for this model is $53.00. That includes repair, complete overhaul, and return s/h. Visit us at www.garryscamera.com for more details or email us at [email protected].

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try spinning the sprocket with your thumb in the film-wind direction (i.e. towards the takeup spool). Sometimes the clutch sticks...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration