Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet - complete beginner asks dumb... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canonet - complete beginner asks dumb question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stewart

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I've never repaired a camera before but recently acquired a jammed Canonet QL25 which I thought I would try and get working. So far I have got the shutter and diaphragm working nicely by virtue of lighter fluid and graphite dust. Unfortunately when removing the front lens elements, in my ignorance I removed the retaining ring which holds the elements into the little barrel and they all fell out. My dumb question is as follows: when putting them back, do all the elements have the convex side forwards?

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure what the construction of the QL25 lens is. In general, lens elements tend to be most convex on the side away from the diaphragm, so front elements are convex-forward and rear ones are convex-rearward (if an element is convex on both sides, the side with flatter curvature usually faces the diaphragm). This is a generalization though, and there are exceptions. In a triplet or tessar type, there is a central element that's concave on both sides, and it's generally not symmetrical.... this one can be a matter of trial and error if you lose track of it.

rick : ) =

dmr

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stewart. I have never repaired a camera before either, and I just got a jammed QL17 GIII.I'm going thru the slow process of learning and repairing simultaneously, with lots of help from the people over at Rangefinder Forum.

Your QL25 is most likely the same camera we gave my dad after he retired. He was a roll-film fan who swore years before that he would "never go 35". :) He eventually admitted that it was his favorite camera of all times.

Anyway, from just having disassembled the front part of the QL17, I can very definitely say that the convex side of the front lens faces out. If it's similar to the QL17, the center and rear elements appear to go in only one way.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration