Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei 35SE Film Counter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Rollei 35SE Film Counter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stewart

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I have recently acquired a pretty little Rollei 35SE. The lens was stuck in the extended position but after a bit of fiddling I got that working again. The first couple of rolls of Velvia look pretty good. One problem remains: the film counter on the bottom plate does not work. Looking at it from the inside of the bottom plate, there is a toothed ring which turns the counter. That moves quite freely if I move it with a pen point, and springs back when released, so it seems OK. Looking at the bottom of the film chamber, there is a pointy thing sticking down which operates as a non-return device until the bottom plate is removed. That moves freely so is probably not the problem. Then there is a toothed lever which protrudes from the bottom of the film chamber and looks as if its purpose is to engage with the toothed ring and move the film counter round. However when I work the film advance this lever does not move. Any suggestions?

M Currie

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think I can help you with repairs (hoping for further advice on that myself), but looking at the bottom of my Rollei 35, here's what I see and what happens. It looks as if you may have the role of the little levers reversed.

Camera is upside down, with lens pointing away from you. The toothed lever closest to you does not move. This is the ratchet pawl. The little lever to the left occupies a slot. With shutter cocked, it should be toward the lens. When you fire the shutter, it should kick backwards. It is then pulled forward again by the winder, and in so doing it should move the film counter.

I hope this helps you track down which part of the sequence is failing.

Stewart

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you! Armed with that information I gingerly removed the plate that covers the mechanism. The lever and its actuator had slipped and were side-by-side and jammed. A little light screwdriver pressure and all was restored. What was a cosmetically excellent but partially working Rollei when I bought it is now fully working again!

Keith Robinson

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a satisfying piece of repair Q/A success! Well done indeed.I have a Rollei 35S on which the exposure counter does not spring back when the back is removed, although working fine once manually reset to the start point. I thought the problem was the anchor point of the fine coil-spring having come free from somewhere, and I can't work out where. All very fiddly in there! Any ideas.
Thanks
Keith

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration