Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor SV Slow Speeds Hang After Cle... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Prontor SV Slow Speeds Hang After Cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Kovacs

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Prontor SV shutter here that I removed the slow speed escapement for soaking in lighter fluid. I have reinstalled it, and the shutter now functions properly at 1/300-1/25 and B. The shutter remains open at 1/10-1 after firing.

Any ideas? I notice there is a post in the case below the lever that I can use to close the shutter when it sticks open in the slow speed range. Was there supposed to be a spring here connecting the closing lever and post? If I hold the lever just right, I can get the slow speed pallet and star wheel to do their dance, although not with any consistency in speed.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Several possibilities here. First check to make sure you have the escapement seated properly. The pallet has to be pulled back when installing the escapement.

Second, there is a tab that sits in a slot in the speed setting cam and pushes the pallet back for the high speed range. If that tab gets bent the pallet can swing in too far (or not far enough) and affects the slow speed range.

Sometimes you need to remove the pallet and clean the inside of the tube in the center. It won't always flush clean.

Also check for signs of rust on the parts of the pallet that pivot. I worked on a Prontor S tonight that had that problem. It worked but ran slow. Cleaning the rust with a little oil and then cleaning again with solvent made it run perfectly. (for now at least. :)

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 04:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pallet's normal resting position against the star gear? This one springs out since I took the pallet off. I think I may have broken the spring putting it back in, DOH!

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK I've been studying this mechanism - forgive me for my fumblings online...

It may be that the spring is not broken, just that it is pressing against a post that it should be set again on the opposite side. Maybe I can rehook it if I keep at it?

Am I on the right track?

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and the saga continues....

OK I got that MADENNING &*(%ing SPRING rehooked. It was not broken. All is well, the shutter is now running smooth. It really was necessary to pull the pallet out, then soak in oil, then in two portions of lighter fluid.

For the sake of the archives: never, ever pull out the pallet arm when the pallet is removed, or you're in for some fun! I did this trying to work the mechanism while in the oil.

Dan: thanks for hosting your website. It has been an invaluable resource for me on a Seikosha, this Prontor SV (seems similar to an S), and a Compur Rapid I've worked on.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration