Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 GIII meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canonet QL17 GIII meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought an old Canonet, and the meter is playing up. While it registers over-exposure and activates the shutter lock, the meter never goes beyong 1.7 into the under-exposure area. Therefore I could shoot a whole film with the lens cap on! It has a 1.35V battery fitted. Any idea's?

Clive

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Mike

First check to see if the camera had a fall ie any dents, if so the small hairsprings in the meter may be tangled.

Check if there is a loose screw in the meter unit, they usualy stick to the magnet.

Check if there is a little dirt between the magnet and the meter outer casing.

Use a strong magnifying glass and you will most likely find the problem.

If no luck contact me on my email address.

Best Regards Clive.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a set screw that holds the meter movement in place against rotation. These are usually pretty tight and secure, but if this should come loose the whole meter might rotate and move the needle out of range in one direction or the other. It sounds like this may have happened to your camera.

The screw is on the right side of the meter movement, under the left edge of the frame counter disk. It's not the clearest of photos, but there's a picture on this page to show you where it is (and also how to reach it):

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html

Mike

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Clive and Rick, thats invaluable information. Looking at the meter through the viewfinder, there seems to be some debris between 1.7 and the under-exposure zone. Looks like a tiny hair. Could this be a physical obstruction stopping the needle moving past 1.7? Could it be part of a winding? I'm a beginner at this, so don't know how relevant it is.

rick olesonr

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could in fact be a hair. it doesn't take much to block the needle from moving.

: ) =

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration