Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Repair of Topcon leaf shutters Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Repair of Topcon leaf shutters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey L. davis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the shutters used in Topcon Unirex,Uni,and Auto100 repairable or serviceable ?
I bought a copy of a Topcon manual but it does not discuss repair of the shutter only replacement. I have several of these cameras and would like to get 1 or 2 of them in good working order. How would I CLA one of these shutters ?
and get the speeds right?
Thank You
J

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jeffrey. Yes, they are serviceable. However, working on these cameras is difficult and very frustrating. There are linkage issues and other things which make this very much a camera that a "do-it-yourselfer" will find very challenging. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Jon

Mike

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Jon is right.

Just about every leaf shutter 35mm SLR is a challenge. But that is what life is all about. The Topcon lenses are good. I think there was a Camera Craftsman article on the Auto 100 many years ago which was fairly comprehensive. I may still have it around here. If you are still interested after all of this news, let me know and I will dig around and see if I still have it.

Mike

Jeffrey L. Davis

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I'm still interested I have several of these kind of neat cameras and would like to use a couple of them and the great lenses I have for them, what do I have to lose ? From what you say my thinking is that to get a professional to do a complete CLA on the ones that work is going to cost me about $100.00 ? and more if there is a real problem.
I would be glad to pay you to copy the article and mail it. If nothing else it may help the pro I have repair some stuff. I had a great Guy Larry Hixon who was great with these sorts of cameras but he died before I ever got into the UV Topcons,he repaired Kodak retina, Kowa.... just about anything, He worked for a very large nation wide used photo equipment dealer and knew just about every camera ever made.
what oil do you guys recomend for the spindles of shutters ? Obviously not 3 in one

Thanks for your response

Winfried

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you feel that you have to lubricate a shutter (none of the repair manuals I know recommends to use oil on the gears) then you should use gun oil. The Nyoil sold by micro-tools is just plain gun oil.

Dorian

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my experience the Topcon UV lenses are not that good. I have every lens they made: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 100mm, 135mm, 200mm. I'm not sure where you get your knowledge that they are 'great', but I've used mine and they are not in the same class as for example the Pentax Takumars or Minolta Rokkors. The Topcon Unirex is a neat camera though.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration