Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh 500G meter: Fried? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Ricoh 500G meter: Fried? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Ricoh 500G/Sears 35 that had a functioning meter until today.

The batteries I've tried are new (PX76 1.55v), and when they're inserted, the needle goes to the very top and stays there.

I recall reading that photocells can sometimes malfunction if they're exposed to a very bright light. I was testing a Vivitar 125 flash (GN 63 @ ASA100) last night at 4 ft. from a bookcase--took one exposure.

Also, FYI: I have old Tri-X Pan film loaded, so I down-rated it at ASA 125 instead of 400. This would make the iris in front of the photocell LESS exposed to the flash...correct?

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think that the meter cell is 'overexposed'. I rather think it is broken and shows almost zero resistance at any lighting condition.

It is not too difficult to replace the meter cell but to adjust the meter you have to remove the top cover - and removing body parts is extremely difficult on the 500G series. On the later 500RF and ZF it is much easier.

CJ

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Winfried.

Yes, I've read about the difficulty getting into a 500G, so for now, I'll continue "learning" with my dismantled Auto S2 and GAF Memo and just deal with the dead meter for now.

(I have no problem just resoldering a new photocell, but ugh...just thinking of peeling the leatherette off brings to mind visions of my tattered and [very] torn Memo 35...)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration