Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya RB 67 Foam Light Seals Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Mamiya RB 67 Foam Light Seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wade Mock

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to replace the foam light seals on my RB67 and P adapter. The seal for the P adapter is shorter than the total length around the adapter so it needs to be stretched. I was told to use either Plyobond (Pliobond-not sure of spelling) or DAP Weldwood contact cement. DAP recommentds coating both surfaces. How do you coat the small foam strips? Is there a better cement to use that gives you working time before setting up? Can someone tell me how to put this foam on the P adapter so that it makes it all away around without leaving a gap where the two ends should meet? I have never replaced these seals and could use a lot of help in this matter.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always use double sided tape for light seals.Use thin strips for straight seals and cut circular sections from wide tape with a compass cutter for curved sections.This is only needed for tight radii,where tape does not follow bend smoothly.Have never had to stretch a seal as I jig cut my own.However if your double sided tape is correct length,I think you will find that if you reverse my normal fitting method then you will have a fit.Instead of putting tape on seal first,run the correct length of tape onto P adapter then stretch seal onto the prestuck tape.I think that will work.The way to work is to place the two ends of the seal on the tape first,then work clock and anticlockwise from the joint.This will ensure you do not over stretch,should do this if you use contact adhesive also.If you use tape the way to cut thin strips is as follows- stick a length down onto a cutting mat,leave the release backing on this piece.Then place another piece of tape on the backing and cut this into fine strips using modeling knife and ruler.Lift strips off as and when required.One last thing,why is seal short? Seems a bit of a cheap deal to me.Personally I think the selfadhesive kits are much better.Seen some right messy glue jobs in my time!

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree...self-adhesive foam is much better than trying to glue something in your camera! Please follow this link to see a very affordable option including pro-style camera foam (and fabric seal, too) in several thicknesses. Thanks!
Jon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43486&item=7502947065

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration